Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Christmas with cosmoline

Post by Adam in Wa »

I’m rebuilding an early small differential for my Carryall, changing to 4.89s. So I ordered bearings, metallic thrust washers, and a diff rebuild kit because my spider gears were chipped. VPW sent me the parts and I was pleasantly surprised. Made in 1952 (71 years ago) boxed in 1957, and opened by me today. I almost felt bad about opening the historic boxes, but an unused part is a useless part; and it’s almost Christmas :D

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Christmas with cosmoline

Post by Kaegi »

not fun to clean but end up with flawless parts! are you upgrading to the 4 pinion carrier or does it have that already? the 2 pinion 8 3/4 were way too weak for 5700 lb truck
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Well I have two complete 2 pinion diffs with 4.89s sitting in my shop. The small rear 5.83 rear diff in my carryall has started making noise so I began to clean up one of the 4.89s to swap in, but I haven’t actually pulled the diff out of the truck to see if it is a 2 or 4 pinion. I guess I should do that before I go any further. I have looked around for a 9 & 5/8s to rebuild with no luck. (Even DC doesn’t have one). I wonder if a lock right would fit in the small carrier?
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

once you have carrier out you can measure and call lockrite
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

So the diff in my truck has a 4 pinion carrier. I have cleaned the housing and am now making a big wrench to unscrew the cap. All the pins were missing and there was several broken teeth on the old pinion; what a mess. I think I will forego the lock right until I find a 9 5/8 diff.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

i have had broken teeth on the 8 3/4s before too. there is a reason they switch to the 9 5/8" early in production. 9 5/8 dont break