Hard starting when hot?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hard starting when hot?

Post by PareosWC »

WC52 starts when cold every time- stock set up with new condenser, but with a solid state VR . A lot like my Stihl chainsaw- full choke, 1/4 throttle, she fires once then dies. Choke all the way in, 1/2 throttle- fires up EVERY time and I love it. Idles and drives well with adequate power.

However- once driven and hot, she refuses to fire up. Only after I open full throttle will it attempt to start after about 8 revolutions. Almost left me stranded today!

New condenser/coil as of last year, but I'm truly thinking that my float height may be off? The carb was rebuilt with a high quality kit, but I paid no attention to the float height as it idles so well. No smoke from exhaust, but she does smell rich a bit for a 80 year old truck :lol:

No vapor lock protections, but she fires right up after about a 10min rest. Float height?, Vapor lock?
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Re: Hard starting when hot?

Post by Adam in Wa »

The fact that it will start full throttle, after eight revolutions, leads me to believe it’s getting too much gas. Full throttle & 8 revs allows enough air to fire the mixture.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

And you say you paid no attention the float height…. So assuming the needle is not sealing, the residual pressure in the line will enter the float bowl and trickle into the engine, creating a flooded condition. That’s my guess anyway.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Chances are that your carburetor is heating up with letent heat from the manifolds. You should have a thick gasket between the manifold and the carb as an insulator to prevent the carb heating up and thus causing the gas to expand and be forced into the inlet manifold.

When you crank the 8 rotations and it fires up, do you get a burst of black smoke? That indicates gas flooding the inlet manifold.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf