Lew Ladwig
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 45 WC52
45GPW
44M29C WEASEL

Gas tank issues

Post by Lew Ladwig »

My gas tank is fairly rusty inside. I tumbled it and got tons of rust out. But my fuel filter came loose. So, I think I will cut the top open, sand blast the insides, maybe do a light zinc plate on the areas I can set up a bath, then, solder the filter back and then weld it up. Any advise? Seems doable.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Gas tank issues

Post by PareosWC »

Lew- is this in your WC? My tank never had a 'filter', aside from the tiny screen that was over the pick-up tube. Yes, if your baffles are intact, a rectangular hole cut into the top of the tank is easy. Cut between the baffles, and once open, ensure those baffles are secure! Lots of stories of restoring an (almost) priceless original tank, only to have a baffle come loose and slosh around :lol: .

It is advisable to run some inert gas (truck exhaust) that will cancel out any of the gasoline fuel remnants. Lots of guys like us restore these tanks, but there are always the stories out there of tank blowing up due to old fuel vapor.
wareagle4590
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by wareagle4590 »

What truck does this tank fit?
Wareagle
Lew Ladwig
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 45 WC52
45GPW
44M29C WEASEL

Post by Lew Ladwig »

Mine is from a WC52. I since cit the tank open and wire wheeled what I can inside. Then did electrolysis. That worked well. A bit more wire wheel work remains. Ill weld it closed and pressure test it for leaks. I may zinc the insides if I get the time.