Door Parts Lubrication

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Door Parts Lubrication

Post by Don »

I'm restoring a Dodge half ton closed cab. I'm just putting the doors back together after cleaning up and restoring the locks and window regulators. I'm wondering what lubrication would work best on these parts. I don't want them to wear (like the lock remote control did), but I don't want to attract too much dirt either. Anybody have a recommendation? -Thanks
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Door Parts Lubrication

Post by Gordon_M »

I think the book answer is ordinary oil from the oil can, can't think of anything better really.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Don »

Thanks, Gordon. I'll do that.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I'd even use oil on the window channels, but just once, then freshen it up with WD 40 now and again.
Gordon, in Scotland

Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

On a related issue, I have a collection of military rifles 1903A3, five M1 Garands, three M1A (M14)s, Enfields, FN Steyer, Brit L1A1, AR-15s and many others.. I prefer grease instead of oil on the moving parts of guns, wear surfaces. Oil tends to migrate across a surface, especially if it’s vertical, thinning itself out eventually. The oil will also collect dirt on those surfaces. Grease stays where you put it; a gun can sit for years and the grease is still there. I have been using wheel bearing grease (think of all the heat & pressure that wheel bearings put up with) on my pistol and rifle actions since the mid 80s with great results. No noticeable wear or malfunctions.

So, wouldn't the internal door parts be better off with grease?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Adam in Wa wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:34 am So, wouldn't the internal door parts be better off with grease?
Grease would be fine, especially for anything that won't see daylight for years ( hopefully )

That reminds me that when the steering box main oil seal leaks, and you REALLY don't want to pull and refit the drop arm, which you have to do to change the seal, you can drill and tap the steering box fill plug for a grease fitting and just fill it with grease instead.
Gordon, in Scotland