Front springs WC-13 cleaning

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1941 WC closed cab

Front springs WC-13 cleaning

Post by 41powerwagon »

My winter project is to get the replacement springs and front axle ready to go. I have the springs shackles done. Should I remove the clips to clean the individual leafs? If yes, I have the center pin removed. How do I remove the other 4? The springs have 8 leafs and 4 clips. 2 clips of one size and 2 clips of another. They have a like rivet head on them but not a threw all the way bolt. Any insight always appreciated.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Front springs WC-13 cleaning

Post by Gordon_M »

I only ever take them apart if a leaf is broken, everything else, including bending to re-tension, I get done on the assembled spring.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 41powerwagon »

Got it. So just a good wire wheel and some paint?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Pretty much. Check carefully for cracks, put them down next to each other to check they are the same shape / arch, check the eye ends for wear and egging out, and you are good to go.
Gordon, in Scotland

gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

If you do end up having to take them apart for a broken leaf, I just heat the clamps and bend or hammer them straight until the springs will come apart. Then heat and hammer back when putting back together.
I agree no need to really do that unless you have to. But if you do, it works. I've done it.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

always replace the center pin bolt. the originals get weak over the years. I have sheared the head off a few of them on the trails. you can get replacements or just use a grade 5 or 8 bolt
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Kaegi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm always replace the center pin bolt. the originals get weak over the years. I have sheared the head off a few of them on the trails. you can get replacements or just use a grade 5 or 8 bolt
I always replace the center pins as well when restoring the leaf spring pack. If one chooses to use a bolt, they may wish to go with Grade 5 vs. Grade 8. I used to race cars and used Grade 8 bolts on my suspension links. They would shear right off and save a lot of the suspension links in an impact.

Grade 5 would bend and not shear causing destruction to a lot of the suspension parts. Generally around here Grade 5 bolts are silver colored and Grade 8 are gold colored. The Grade 5 bolts are marked with 3 radial lines on the bolt heads. Grade 8 have 6 radial lines on the bolt head. Of course, I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know. 8)

NOS pins are readily available, however. They don't appear to be hardened like Grade 8 bolts and are less prone to shearing. I picked up a number of them from Midwest Military.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 41powerwagon »

Well, so far so good. No cracks on either one. And only 3 layers of paint. Black, silver? Lastly green👍 Bolts will be replaced. A bit of egging on two brass sleeves. Very minor, should I replace? And one sleeve slid halfway out without any effort. Definitely replace?
Thanks again for all the insight.
Rick
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Replace the bushes unless they look perfect, replace the pins if there are any detectable wear ridges.
Gordon, in Scotland

gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

I agree. replace bushings and pins both. They are not terribly expensive.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

One caveat here. The original pins were very good quality, the new ones can be a bit - variable. I prefer to reuse originals where possible but not if they are showing wear.
Gordon, in Scotland