Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Re: Transfer Case

Post by June J »

Hi Richard,
my previous Dodge was a WC 57 Command Car, I rebuilt the trensfer case in that and noticed a slight difference but really it was an exercise in pure futility. I did buy some acoutic barier tiles and glued these to the floor under the front bench seat, that went a log way to quietening things to a more acceptable level.

When I 1st drovw the carryall the transfer case was noisy so I went out and acquired a 2nd hand unit which I stripped and rebiult. The gears looked fine, no pitting, to loss of hardening. New timken bearings. Still noisy so I rebuilt the original T/case with all new gears. No difference, even with the highest quality gear oil my money can buy. The moral of the story is buy good noise cancelling ear muffs :thumbdown:

The most annoying thing here is a friend imported a fully restored WC 57 from the UK, a couple of years ago, the transfer case was almost silent!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
LionheartUK
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by LionheartUK »

I must be unfortunate as mine is a WC51.

Front axle locking hubs won’t help as the idle gear is constantly driven, but this issue seems to be common so maybe it’s just a case of putting up with it.

Thank you for suggestions.
Regards

Richard Hulme
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I am surprised to read so many posts about noisy single speed tcases. none of mine made noise except maybe the carryall. I sold it before diving into what caused it. I had a WC54 that was really loud but it was rear diff. same with a power wagon I had. bad ring and pinion teeth make so much noise.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Kaegi,
So what advice would you give us to get to the bottom of the issue?
I have tried for 10 years to get an acceptable outcome.
Cheers
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

maybe I have just been lucky? Dave at DC truck parts who has rebuilt many more of these than I pointed out one day when we were talking that the stock spec is too tight. run the countershaft on loose end of specs. otherwise they get noisy and too hot. We were mainly talking about the 2 speed case but the same logic would apply to the single speed as the design is the same.
one reason I am skeptical of the "zero" factory spec is it is way too easy to end up with it too tight.
LionheartUK
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by LionheartUK »

Well that would fit, as when it’s cold the first mile or so is quiet, then the noise returns.
Regards

Richard Hulme
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

LionheartUK wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:09 am I must be unfortunate as mine is a WC51.

Front axle locking hubs won’t help as the idle gear is constantly driven, but this issue seems to be common so maybe it’s just a case of putting up with it.

Thank you for suggestions.
the front driveline angle on 3/4 tons is not real good. the locking hubs make some difference in vibration which can cause some noise. they really need a double cardan joint at the tcase
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi guys,
this is great discussion.

I can well understand gear box's being noisy as the gears are straight cut and will always whine. The transfer case gears are all helical cut gears which are (generally) quieter than straight cut gears.

The noise I always seem to get in gear chatter and it drives me insane because I have driven other WC's and their cases are almost silent :roll: :roll:

I will try the "loose: set up and see how that works out.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

in 4th gear the tranny shouldn't make noise as its in direct so no straight cut gear noise possible. I hope setting counter shaft looser in tcase works!!I
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Kaegi,
Yes. The gearbox is pretty much silent in top gear, as you would expect.
I sure hope loosening the idler shaft will help.
Cheers
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf