Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Transfer Case

Post by June J »

Hi folks,
well all I can say is I'm darned (for those of you less sensitive to strong language damned) if I know!
The transfer case in my WC 53 is really noisy, despite all new bearings and all new gears! AND Lubrication Engineers 1604 90 weight lube oil.

Yes all the bearings are genuine timken, yes all the shafts are set at zero end float and zero pre-load, no the gears did not have any burrs, dents or damage but even with all this tender loving care its hellishingy noisy. What am I missing guys? Honestly I will need ear muffs to drive the thing!

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Transfer Case

Post by Gordon_M »

Hmm, you put the 6 x 6 case in, didn't you Ian? I vaguely recall some sort of vibration insulator blocks on the mounting points but not sure.

Transfer cases are either quiet or noisy, it doesn't seem to affect performance or reliability. I remember GMC owners going spare over the same issue, DUKW owners in particular where it is close to the bottom of the hull which acts as a sounding board. You are turning so many extra gears and shafts you are going together more noise, it is just pot luck. how much.

Rebuild it again with tolerances at maximum? try another case?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

June- are you sure the noise is coming from the T-case? What happens if you drop the front driveshaft? Are you sure it is not a u-joint issue?

The reason I ask is that I did not even touch the t-case when I re-built my WC52, and the only noise I had was from when I realized that I had not secured the threaded 'cap' that fits onto the female portion of the front driveshaft yoke...
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

So I have the standard single speed transfer case in the truck, free wheeling hubs so no noise from the universals. Its definitely the transfer case as I can hear the noise with a stethoscope. Just so disappointing I guess.
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

You could chase it forever and not silence it. Keep your eyes open for a spare and swap in in without rebuilding it, just to see. :D
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Yeah, I was kinda fearing that might be the answer. I wonder if the new gears will bed in over time so I will remove the rear drive shaft and try front wheel drive for a couple days to put some load on the gears.

Sigh!

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Ian . Have you tried some bannana peals .Used to work on gear box,s :lol: :twisted: D
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

when the rear diff has bad gears the noise will sound like its in the tcase even with the scope.
is zero the spec in the book? i haven't looked but thought it should be more like .007. The two speed Tcase likes to be on the loose side of the spec range for least amount of noise

one test is to remove the rear driveline and drive on front axle and see if noise goes away.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Kaegi,
I ran the transfer case with front and rear driveshafts disconnected as a test, with no change in noise. The noise is definitely at the mesh point of input/idler gear. This is using a doctors stethoscope not the rod type favored by mechanics.

The book doesn't actually give a preload or clearance figure, just "free rolling with no end play"

Thanks for your response.

My next step is to measure the distance from the oil level plug face to each of the 2 gears and shim the idler to an exact match with the input gear while maintaining the zero preload state. Wish me luck 😊
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

When you push in the clutch and coast does the noise go away? The t/c case gears will still be spinning... It might help to diagnose if the noise is coming from the rear diff. Could also be the trans output bearing, under load?
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Adam, no the noise remains with the clutch disengaged.
The case has all new bearings and all new gears so I'm pretty certain it's not a bearing issue.

I wonder if its just that the Carryall is pretty much a sound shell and amplifies the noise.

Thanks for your help.
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

It may well be... when I was going through mine I saw the body was rubbing on the frame, this would make a horrendous squeak. Specifically the flange below where the front floor panels angle upward. Look just above the clutch/brake spring in this photo; the flange corner is touching the frame...
This is also how I calculated the front body bushing height, to give me clearance in this area.Image
LionheartUK
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by LionheartUK »

Well I am both saddened to hear that your transfer case is noisy I am also happy that I am not alone.

I have had 3 replacement transfer cases, 2 gearbox’s and a full front axle.

The ONLY way I have found to delete the noise is to remove the centre idle gear disabling 4wd

Any help or ideas are very welcome!!
Regards

Richard Hulme
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Maybe swap in a two speed transfer case from a Power Wagon…
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

LionheartUK wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:38 am Well I am both saddened to hear that your transfer case is noisy I am also happy that I am not alone.

I have had 3 replacement transfer cases, 2 gearbox’s and a full front axle.

The ONLY way I have found to delete the noise is to remove the centre idle gear disabling 4wd

Any help or ideas are very welcome!!
put locking hubs on front axle?
i actually sold my Carryall because it was so loud. I have only had command cars and weapons carriers since. open cab the easiest on the ears