From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Heinz
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
My garage: Willys MB, Ford GPW, Dodge WC52, M35A2, Steyr Puch Pinzgauer 710M;

Camshaft to crankshaft timing

Post by Heinz »

Hello in the forum!
Has anyone an idea, why on the T-214 engine the camshaft is set to cyl. nr. 6 ? When I replaced the front crankshaft oil seal I recognized, that arrangement.
When the markings on the timing gears are aligned, nr. 6 cylinder is on compression - up to now, most other (non-Dodge engines) I have seen nr. 1 cylinder is on compression when timing markings are aligned ?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Camshaft to crankshaft timing

Post by Gordon_M »

There is an answer to that - it is the easiest one to check with the proper ( Wilson?) gauge tool. there is a small threaded plug in the head over number 6 which is removed and then you can check it is top dead centre very accurately.

Chrysler engines baryon the front timing marks. I had an engine where the timing arrow was about ten o'clock on the timing cover - I can only assume it was for a cabover or something like that. I think TDC on compression stroke is standard.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Heinz
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Heinz »

Hello Gordon_M and thank you for your quick reply.
I am just surprised that the T-214 engine is set to cyl. nr. 6 when timing marks are aligned instead of alignment to cyl.1. I have the side covers off , so I can see the camshaft anyway and also the timing cover is off to see the timing marks.
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Heinze .Who ever assembled your engine has assembled it wrong .Dodge TM 10 -1531 page Engine 01-35 engine specifications. States that the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 . Most ,if not all 6 cylinder motor,s are 1-5-3-6-2-4 . Hope this helps . Ray
Heinz
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Heinz »

Hello Ray!
The firing order is clear to me, what makes me wondering is the fact, that when the marks for the camshaft timing are aligned properly, cyl. 6 is under compression - this has not really something to do with the firing order. Up to now, I have only seen engines where the camshaft is marked to cyl. 1 - and not to cyl. 6;
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

when assembling the engine I suppose it doesn't matter as long as marks are lined up. maybe they used 6 because that is where the plug is to put rod in so you can get 1 and 6 to TDC, when six is at top of stroke so is 1. I have never seen another engine that way either. maybe they didn't want to put the access plug over number 1 because the water jacket may have been then too small? all just guesses tho
Heinz
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Heinz »

@Kaegi:
So it seems to be standard on Dodge T214-engines that the camshaft timing is set to cyl. 6 in compression? I have not seen any other Dodge engine to be able to compare and the manual does not really talk about it.
I only recognized that setup on my Dodge, when I replaced the front oil seal of the crankshaft and was wondering. The engine is running fine so far.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Heinz wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm @Kaegi:
So it seems to be standard on Dodge T214-engines that the camshaft timing is set to cyl. 6 in compression? I have not seen any other Dodge engine to be able to compare and the manual does not really talk about it.
I only recognized that setup on my Dodge, when I replaced the front oil seal of the crankshaft and was wondering. The engine is running fine so far.
I think all the flathead Mopar's must be set up that way. i think it does mention in on one of the manuals.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Just to throw another log on the fire, at one time some people numbered the cylinders from the firewall forward, so they would all the cylinder next to the firewall #1
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day all . Let,s not try to rewrite history . But all Dodge motor and most others were timed 1,5,3,6,2,4 .The dodge manual spacificaly says this is the firing ORDER . I would suggest that you take of the head ,and timing chain ,turn the crank until the no 1 cylinder piston is at tdc . Then turn cam shaft until Both inlet and exhaust are closed. . The marks on the cam and crank should be lined up . Therefore No1 cylinder will fire .Not rocket science .As i said before . Engine assembled wrong . Ray .
Heinz
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Heinz »

Hello Ray!

Thanks for your reply.

I am not talking about the ignition timing / adjustment, I am talking about camshaft to crankshaft alignment:

First you align the camshaft to the crankshaft - according to the marks on the timing chain gears - and if I align these marks according to the manual, cyl. nr. 6 is on compression on my Dodge, and that is what made me wonder - there seems not to be any other way for assembling if I follow the two marks on the timing chain gears.

However, I did not dismentle the engine, I just looked at the marks when I changed the front crankshaft oil seal.

The firing order is given by the camshaft anyway and cannot be changed. Only the ignition timing can be changed by rotating the distributor - but that is not the question.
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Heinz .It would appear that i was wrong . I was thinking firing order .not timing . I watched a bloke on utube time a dodge 6 . He used a piece of steel rod to check out when the number 6 cylinder was at tdc . He was checking the opening /clossing of the point on the dissy .A Classic case of putting mouth into gear, before my brain .Ray