What's your starting sequence?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

What's your starting sequence?

Post by PareosWC »

My 12v 2A gets 3 pumps with the accelerator, full choke, a quarter inch of throttle, and when she immediately fires up, I can push the choke in and maintain throttle. Easy.

However....

The 6v WC52 requires a little more 'attention'. If I hand prime, it seems to start quicker, but full choke, 3 pumps of the accelerator, and cranking begins. If she's cold, I will eventually run out of battery... if it's warmer in the shop, she'll fire up quicker, and idles well. (2) things that I need to examine with my dwell meter and vacuum is assuring that the Carter carb is set correctly for this motor, and ensuring proper dwell.

Is the ol' Dodge this finicky for anyone else? :lol:
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: What's your starting sequence?

Post by Gordon_M »

If she has been sitting more than a day or so, hand prime always good, then full choke till she starts and then minimum choke till she has warmed up.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

I'll add my 2 cents worth. My starting drill for my 6v WC-3 when 30 degrees F is similar to yours. Hand prime, choke full on, pump accelerator and crank at the same until it starts, usually starts on the 3rd or 4th revolution, then adjust the choke as needed, then set throttle at high idle until the engine warms up. I would guess your checking the dwell and carburetor may help. When the weather is warm doesn't need much accelerator pumping or choke.
Steve
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Andersun »

Sitting over a week:
Choke all the way out
Throttle knob held out 1/4 - 1/2 inch
Push choke back in as soon as engine starts up which is always first round.
Keep holding throttle out for about a minute.
Let throttle knob go back to hold a zip tie another minute
Let throttle knob go back in.

Over night or a couple of days:
Choke all the way out
Throttle knob pulled out just to hold a zip tie
Push choke back in as soon as engine starts which is always first try.
After about a minute remove zip tie and let throttle knob go back in.

I live in Florida so it is much easier to start than if I lived up north.
Steve
1943 WC57
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

OK- my carb mixture was set too high, so idle was at about 1200rpm. Once I dropped the idle and set dwell, she starts with:

Throttle pulled out enough for a clothespin to attach, full choke, 2 hits on the accelerator, and she attempts to start on the first try. But like a chainsaw, I then push the choke all the way in. She will now fire up and remain running.

No smoke, great throttle response, oil pressure good, but is it just the smell of unburnt fuel that causes that 'rich smell'?
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Interesting that most guys say "2 - 3 pumps on the gas pedal" If your Dodge has the original Ball and Ball or Zenith carb then pumping the gas pedal does not do anything as the accelerator pump is vacuum operated and the engine has to be running for it to function.

My routine is: if more than 14 days since it last ran, prime the carb with the manual pump on the fuel pump.

1/2 choke and heel on the accelerator with a small amount of throttle opening. Crank and its usually running on the 2nd or 3rd compression.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

On my WC52, I fill the carb with the manual primer on the fuel pump first. Next...full choke and throttle pedal all the way to the floor and then press the starter. Takes both feet. Left to hold the throttle pedal at full throttle, and the right foot to press the starter. Have tried all other ways and never start.

Now, my half-tons WC's, a couple pumps of the throttle pedal and half choke. They always start easily.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

...then pumping the gas pedal does not do anything...
June- did you ever do anything that you knew was futile, but it just felt right (aside from marriage).. :lol: :lol:
I always wondered this, but it just felt like it was helping.

I'll tell you one thing- not sure if anyone's vehicle is similar, but like Zeph, if I just give a hair too much fuel when attempting to start, she wants to flood. Then I have to do as Zeph does which is to pin the accelerator to the floor, then she will start.

I have a 57 Ford tractor that is the same. I must be very frugal with the fuel.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Haha, yes for sure I have done the futile thing on my old WC 57 until i discovered the vacuum operated accelerator pump :lol:

I also believe the higher cranking speed of the 6 volt starter on the 12 volt system (both on my WC 57 and now WC 53) makes a huge difference in starting.

I had the 6 volt starter on the WC 57 for 11 years without a single problem, and a 6 volt starter on my Willy MB that I had converted to 12 volts and again, never a problem.

Cheers
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf