From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Division_Ordnance
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
My garage: WC-63....and a mountain of rust

Wiring Harness Splice

Post by Division_Ordnance »

Hello all,

Does anyone know what the splice joint is like in the lower wiring harness where various splices tap in to longer wires? Is it like a T splice where the insulation is shaved away from the main wire and the smaller jumper is wrapped around and soldered then taped?

An example of this would be where the headlight wires come together to go to the dimmer switch. Or I believe this also happens where the

Another example I believe would be where one of the wires off the master cylinder attaches to the twilight wires.

Iv searched this forum and found the question asked but not answered so hopefully you all can shed some light on the matter.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Wiring Harness Splice

Post by Kaegi »

I don't recall any factory splices in wiring. do you have a stock wiring diagram?
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

Hi D.O.
My early WC-3 had wiring harness splices as you describe, stripped insulation, soldered splice and a lot of tape on the splice. Looked original to me.
Steve
Division_Ordnance
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
My garage: WC-63....and a mountain of rust

Post by Division_Ordnance »

Thanks fellas. I do have a stock wiring diagram (p. 240 on tm 9-808) and actually another diagram from an earlier manual I think (found online has a page number 296 at the bottom and RA PD 52973 on the side).

I almost positive it has to be spliced together somehow as there are two headlight wires coming into one wire that goes to the dimmer switch. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like a T connection or just all three ends of wire joined at a junction or something that's hidden by the taped harness?

Hope this makes sense and I'm not just talking in circles
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

dashtp40 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:52 pm Hi D.O.
My early WC-3 had wiring harness splices as you describe, stripped insulation, soldered splice and a lot of tape on the splice. Looked original to me.
Steve
that would be the best way is to solder rather than adding another junction block. I can see the factory doing it.