Carter BB rebuild problem

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Carter BB rebuild problem

Post by dougieboy1 »

I posted this on the G503 power wagon section but i am not sure what the readership crossover is between the sites so repeating it here.

Am restoring a WC56 which has stood for 45 years. As part of a complete engine rebuild, i am currently working on the Carb which is a Carter BB.

Have stripped it down and discovered that after removing the circular clip, the ball bearing that sits at the bottom of the accelerator pump tube seems to be stuck in place. Have tried the following:
1. Blasting with soda down the accelerator tube in the body
2. Left it soaking in carb cleaner overnight,
3. Poking around with a sharp pick
4. Blowing compressed air down the channel in the float chamber to try and come up from underneath the ball
5. Blowtorch down the accelerator tube

None of these have released the ball. I am considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the carb body so i can poke the ball out with a 1mm drill bit and then fill the hole with JB Weld. But i dont really want to do that if i can avoid it

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Carter BB rebuild problem

Post by Gordon_M »

I think you've done all you can Andrew.

I hate all carbs, but some of them use balls and caps driven in to seal passageways deliberately, so my only concern would be that the bit you are trying to remove - should be removable. If it is shown separately in the service stuff, fair enough.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by dougieboy1 »

hi gordon, it is 'supposed' to fall out when you remove the retaining clip....but it doesnt.... :( and there is a new one in the rebuild kit to place that one....

It may be that someone previously has managed to jam the ball on the hole??

I will keep trying but looks like i may need another one....or if anyone has one they have cannibalised, i just need the central float bowl section!!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Then someone has jammed it in there by assembling it wrongly. I'm assuming it is so far down you couldn't get a very small drill to it?

Can't think of anything else you haven't already tried, except maybe filling the passage behind it with oil and hydraulicing it out.
Gordon, in Scotland

dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by dougieboy1 »

no, its too far down for a drill to reach. I have just JB welded a nail to it, see if i can pull it out after it has set. I did wonder abvout the oil trick but i think it is jammed against the hole for the fuel to run through so nothing much possible. If the nail trick doesnt work, i will drill through from the poutside and prod it out, then JB weld the drill hole up. See if that works.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Let us know how it goes. Adhesion to the ball surface may be limited but worth a try. Something mildly acidic like strong vinegar might be worth trying too. :thumbup:
Gordon, in Scotland

Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day . A friend of mine has a EDM machine . It uses pulses of electricity to eats away the metal , I think it pulse rate is like 20k per minute ,or something like that {Very Fast } . He uses the machine to remove broken bolts in heads etc .Takes a fair while ,but when it is finished there is only the thread let in the hole ,which he removes easily .Maybe some one on the forum can expand . If its only a ball bearing it might not take long . Ray
dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by dougieboy1 »

interesting, will look into it.
dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by dougieboy1 »

sadly, not being the most patient of people, i decided i would drill through the bottom of the ball tube. I used the drill bit to knock the ball out and it came out with a 1mm base of resin attached - i was never getting that out. Also, the feed hole that joins the accelerator pump chamber to the float chamber was blocked, again with hard resin. So i have drilled that out and then put some JB weld on the outside to block up the first drilled hole.

Only time will tell..... in the meantime i will keep my eye out for a replacement just in case...... there was one on G503 a couple of months ago, complete with the air filter tube and support for $100 - just a bit too late. As i am missing the support for the air filter tube as well, that would have been an ideal solution - c'est la vie.

Watch this space!
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

the float body is the same on multiple versions of the ball & ball one barrel. even M37 is the same except the M37 version has a drain plug. but mopar cars and trucks used that carb for decades
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Re: JB weld

Post by Adam in Wa »

JB Weld will not stand up to gas, long term. I bet it softens and separates in a week or so, at least that has been my experience multiple times... I would recommend that you solder up the hole, or solder a plug in place, etc.

If you are adamant about leaving the JB Weld in place you should fill the passage with gas and let it set on your work bench for a week, that way you won’t have to uninstall it. My 2 cents.
dougieboy1
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by dougieboy1 »

hey adam, this is a great idea...i will definitely try and if it leaks, then soLder!!