Wanted: ww2 chrysler fire pump info/manuals

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Wanted: ww2 chrysler fire pump info/manuals

Post by gyknot »

I have a ww2 Chrysler fire pumper and a Chrysler built trailer to mount it in. From what I can find the Howe fire pump was actually built by Chrysler under license during the war.
I would very much like to find any literature on either the pump unit or the trailer or all of it.
So far all I have found is a few small pictures in ww2 ads showing the unit but no information on it.
I'd also be interested in parts/pieces for the unit itself or even complete outfits. Hopefully on the west side of the country!
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Re: Wanted: ww2 chrysler fire pump info/manuals

Post by gyknot »

Bump...Anybody? :roll:
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Guess there is little to no literature at all available on these.
I did locate a book titled "Trailer Mounted Fire Fighting Pumps" that has quite a bit on the Chrysler built fire pumps and the trailers. Has some general info as well as production numbers. Also indicates they were only made from possibly late 1940 until the end of 1943. It appears although they were marketed for civil defense, they were only sold to the military for use or lend/lease. Only after the war as surplus did they fall into normal fire fighting use.
I would still like to locate any manuals or literature on them if any of you ever run across it. According to this book it was model number 101. I have a few ads from the war years on them but that is it.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

have you tried contacting Chrysler historical?
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Can't say that I have. Not sure how one even goes about it.
Its a back burner project for right now.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Mailing address:
Chrysler Group LLC - Historical Services
12501 Chrysler Fwy.
CIMS 410-11-21
Detroit, MI 48288 USA
ATTN: Historical Information

E-mail: archives@wpchryslermuseum.org

Fax:
313-252-2928
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Still searching. I guess I waited too long to try and contact Chrysler on it. email comes back as failed delivery and I can't imagine I'd get any more luck through snail mail.
I'm hoping to start work on the thing this winter. Will look very cool behind my WC1.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I wonder if the library of congress would have them?
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Does your trailer look like this one I have? I don't have the genny or the pump. I was going to fix it up and use it with my VC1:

Someone had sent me a link to a book about these type of fire trailers:

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Mounted- ... 1545338922

Not sure if it's helpful for you or not.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

That my good friend is the trailer I have. They were used for fire fighting pumps and I have some old books showing smoke generators in them as well.
I do have that fire fighting trailer book and it has by far the most information on them I have found yet.

If you decide not to build your trailer I am interested in it.
George
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

gyknot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:14 am That my good friend is the trailer I have. They were used for fire fighting pumps and I have some old books showing smoke generators in them as well.
I do have that fire fighting trailer book and it has by far the most information on them I have found yet.

If you decide not to build your trailer I am interested in it.
George
Very cool. Here are some other things I found researching the trailers. Here's a good photo of what the fire pumper looked like on the trailer and shows the support legs really well. At first, I thought that the support legs on mine were added by someone, but then realized after researching that they are original. I'm missing the surge brake hydraulic ram and the pintle. If you have a good photo of your pintle, I would like to see it. I am also missing one of the cast pieces for one rear support leg:

An add for the trailers we have:

A different style without the support legs:

Then just cool, but pulled by a FoRd. Dodge four door in the background? Can't tell what that is exactly:

Zeph

gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

I am missing two of the support leg brackets myself. My surge brake master cylinder is busted completely in half but is still there. The pintle attachment is missing, just the ball hitch still exists. I am also missing the front suction hose support parts. I'm in contact with a gentleman on the binder planet forum that also has one he made into a barbecue. He is going to send me some pictures of his hose support parts. His has had the entire front hitch replaced with shop built parts.

I have given up on posting pictures on this forum but if you send me an email at george.yingst@yahoo.com I will email some pics of mine. I also have another advertisement that has a very cool "action" drawing of one.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

gyknot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:24 am I am missing two of the support leg brackets myself. My surge brake master cylinder is busted completely in half but is still there. The pintle attachment is missing, just the ball hitch still exists. I am also missing the front suction hose support parts. I'm in contact with a gentleman on the binder planet forum that also has one he made into a barbecue. He is going to send me some pictures of his hose support parts. His has had the entire front hitch replaced with shop built parts.

I have given up on posting pictures on this forum but if you send me an email at george.yingst@yahoo.com I will email some pics of mine. I also have another advertisement that has a very cool "action" drawing of one.
Just shot you an e-mail...
Zeph

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

gyknot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:24 am I am missing two of the support leg brackets myself. My surge brake master cylinder is busted completely in half but is still there. The pintle attachment is missing, just the ball hitch still exists. I am also missing the front suction hose support parts. I'm in contact with a gentleman on the binder planet forum that also has one he made into a barbecue. He is going to send me some pictures of his hose support parts. His has had the entire front hitch replaced with shop built parts.

do you have a pic of the mc?
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Its still in the trailer but yes I have a pic as it is. Feel free to email me and I'll send what I have. It is not any standard looking thing from what I can tell so far. Someday when I get it out I'll be able to try and match it up maybe and also look for numbers on it.