1/2 ton tow pintle

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

1/2 ton tow pintle

Post by Don »

I'm installing the tow pintle hook on my Dodge 1942 military half ton pickup (T-215 series). Do the two eye-bolts for the safety chains mount on the pintle or on the rear bumpers?
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: 1/2 ton tow pintle

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Don . Probably like the 3/4 ton dodge . The eye bolts on them are used to mount the the rear bumper There for 3 mounting bolts and 1 eye bolt ,hold the rear bumper to the truck . Best of luck , Ray
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Morning both.

There will have been a factory position, most likely on the bumperettes, but there was some variation. Early trucks didn't have chain eyebolts I believe, and some trucks like early Carryalls didn't have a pintle at all. Of course in service the using arm could even have moved them depending on the type of trailers they had to hitch to.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Don »

Thank you both. I checked the Dodge Power Wagon site and the local Craigslist, and found some pictures of what looked like un-restored trucks that showed the eye bolts on the bumperettes.

I also found in my parts book that only the last series half-ton (T215) had them. They were listed with the bumperettes rather than the pintle hooks, so I think you guys were both right on your advice.
Thanks -Don