From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Question on ignition

Post by G. Miskovsky »

All,

Was doing routine maintenance on my WC51 and changed out all the plugs, points and condenser. She was a little stubborn on the start but fired up. The engine was had a bit of a lope and after about five minutes I heard two sharp clicks, she then purred like a kitten. My guess is that was the sound of the voltage regulator points. I polarized the generator prior to the crank up. Any ideas?
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Question on ignition

Post by Gordon_M »

Certainly possible Gus. :D
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Gus . I would get rid of the points and go electronic ignition , I think it is a company called pertronics that make the module . It fits inside the distributor . Dave Mottram would be the one to ask ,as i think he has it in his command car . Ray
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I think when you polarised it you probably stuck one set of regulator points and that was them freeing up. I'd agree with electronic ignition on any 6 volt truck, but it is a much more marginal discussion on a 12 volt vehicle.
Gordon, in Scotland

G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Post by G. Miskovsky »

thanks all,

Maybe it's time I make the change to electronic ignition! Any particular brand better?
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Pertronix is the one they all talk about, not sure of spelling.
Gordon, in Scotland

Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Post by Phil P »

I know its a way back but I fitted electronic ignition about 7 or 8 years ago on my WC51. Ignition lead was 7 degrees and the plug gap was 30 thou. When l had my stroke about 5 years ago the truck stood. 6 months ago we had to move it. With a rope attached and the choke at about half way it was towed about 50 yards and it started! It ran as though it had just been switched off. lt was parked up again. lt was converted to 12 volt when l fitted the electronic ignition. The starter is the still on 6 volts. The dynamo was changed to 12 volts though l have read recently that it will work happily on either 6 volt or 12 volt only the control box needs resetting and not changing. The wiring in it is ample gauge for 12 volt because the amperage is lower than 6 volt.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

For a WC with a 12 Volt system The Hot Spark product is a better proposition than the Pertronic for an electronic conversion as they include a replacement breaker plate. The Part number you need is the 3AUT6U1. I don't believe Hot Spark have 6 Volt units.
For a 6 Volt system Pertronic is a good choice but they require you to strip and reuse the breaker plate.

David
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Sorry, the name is actually Pertronix.

David