WC52 Shake down run

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

WC52 Shake down run

Post by PareosWC »

The test run was good for a truck we've been restoring for 5 years. A few observations...

Idle is extremely high, unless I blip the throttle; the return spring isn't doing its job- I need to find the 'correct' and stronger spring that will retract that accelerator rod. How annoying..

Dot 5 fluid is pi$$ing me off. All new hardware from master cylinder to soft lines to hard lines to wheel cylinders. Bled 3 times using Mytivac and 16 year old son. Not only am I getting fluid weep out of the MC outlet, but no brakes until the last 2 inches. Will adjust the brake shoes again, and put some teflon tape on that steel MC outlet.

Using a piece of foam as an air cleaner was good in theory, but bad choice. Man, as soon as I removed it, the truck then gets on down the road!

Only concerning fluid loss was from those ridiculous rubber valve cover gaskets, and some leakage from the fuel and oil pump. I will ensure the valve tins are flat and try it again, but should have went with good ol' cork.

I am reading about oil pressure concerns, though. Motor has 60psi cold, and 40 when hot. Water temp is good at 120..

Clutch engages and releases fine, but like I say, I only have about 2 inches of space to engage it.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: WC52 Shake down run

Post by Gordon_M »

Modern brake fluid is a pain in these trucks. It can seep through much smaller gaps than the old stuff, some sort of surface tension / viscosity effect.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day all . One of the problems i have encountered with J@@p and dodge brake cylinders is the Chinese rubber cups have a rounded end {It should be sharp } When the cylinder actuates flujd can get down between the cylinder wall and the piston / rubber seal . Never had this happen before . Only on repro shit chinese rubber seal,s . Ray
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

oil pressure is great
water temp too cold
air in system and brake shoe and MC pushrod out of adjustment???

is clutch engaging when pedal really close to floor? or way up high?
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

The spring was out of a D24 Flathead 6, and have the 60/40. I took the spring from a T-214 motor, and now have 40/20.

The temp gauge is new, but its an electric one built for a 6v Allis Chalmers tractor :lol: For a 15 minute drive, I now get 140. I will have to review my receipts to see what t-stat I used. I may have thrown a 140 in there?

Air may indeed be in the system, so the mityvac is getting tossed in favor of my son!- it doesn't help that the dot-5 has a bunch of tiny bubbles in it as it pours in. The drums are my next culprit, as when the shoes are adjusted, the wheel turn freely for half the spin, then locks up on the other! The brake rod has 7/16ths play before engagement.

Kaegi, clutch engages and is grind free almost to the bellhousing. In fact, if the bottom bolt is installed (that attaches the brake pedal to bellhousing, I can't get it to engage..

www.surfacezero.com/g503/showfull.php?photo=277931
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

not sure I understand what the clutch is doing. is the disk possibly installed backwards? if so clutch wont work right.
once i had a pressure plate rebuilt for my wc52 and they put some springs in it that were stiffer than the others and it was binding and you couldn't disengage the clutch.

I would go back to the d24 spring for higher oil pressure.

the lowest tstat i have seen for these engines is I think 165 degrees?? I would go 180 or 195. need the NOS type. the parts store tstat isnt the right one. It needs to have the rubber ring on top so it isn't bypassing all the time
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

1. I'll find a Dodge thermostat; I would be surprised if I used anything else, though. How long does it take a WC to get to operating temp?

2. I'll swap the oil spring.

3. On the clutch- it appears to be original. If the adjustment yoke is extended almost to full length, isn't that just a symptom of a worn clutch? I'm not complaining, as it does a good job of engaging all gears without any grinding or chatter...
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

i think thats possible on the clutch adjustment. I have never had to adjust one out like that. could be wear in the clutch fork pivot points, pedal hinge pin and the throw out bearing collar adding need for adjustment?

here is what an original tstat looks like scroll down on left side of page

https://www.debellajeepparts.com/WCcatalog2.htm