WC52 3/4T Knuckle question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

WC52 3/4T Knuckle question

Post by PareosWC »

Dodge manual states that only the ball bearing joint in the knuckle gets packed with grease. I was under the impression that half of the entire socket gets packed- kinda like in the jeep?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: WC52 3/4T Knuckle question

Post by Gordon_M »

Damn, you are taxing my memory here.

I think the ball bearing needs to be packed when being fitted, but I'm sure the knuckle has a screw that you can take out, fit a zerk, and fill the knuckle up with grease too.

Maybe the manual is just pointing out that the bearing needs to be packed separately?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Thanks, Gordon- I'm sure you're right. The 'ball socket' definitely has that plug hole on the lower portion. But how do you know if you've pumped too much, or not enough? I'll have to research it a bit more.

Seems like that hole is actually an inspection hole to ensure that if grease comes out of that hole, it is filled adequately. But where pumped in from?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I remember seeing an illustration of that screw coming out and a zerk being fitted, but that's it. I'd grease earthing up thoroughly on assembly and check the position of seals and so on so that you weren't blowing seals by over-filling grease.

I'd guess on a 3/4 ton with limited mileage you really wouldn't have to add too much, but as always if you go by the book it should just work.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I suggest reading the manual on this. it says to pack the knuckle with grease. They give an amount like 1 Lb. or so. then assemble everything, then remove the plug on the ball, then pump grease into the zerk on top where the trunion cap is until you see it start to come out of the hole.