From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

1/2 ton bed assembly procedure??

Post by gyknot »

I'm hoping to get the bed together this winter for my WC1/WC12 (its a little of both). I purchased the entire wood kit last summer and since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm wondering what is the proper order to put it together?
I thought I had seen this covered here a few years back but so far no luck with the search system.
Can somebody tell me what to search under to find it? Or even a quick tutelage of what goes first with putting it together.
I'm hoping to find the old posts as they had photos and I can follow along much better with visual aids.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: 1/2 ton bed assembly procedure??

Post by Gordon_M »

Build the floor on the chassis, put the sides and front on, the fit the tailgate, then fenders. Leave all the bolting hand tight till you have the assembly how you want it.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Just so I am clear, you assemble the entire subframe and floor before putting the sides and end on. Correct?
Seems I've also seen photos of the subframe with sides and ends and then the floor put in last. Maybe that was just somebody replacing the floor itself without having to do the framework.
Thanks Gordon.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Pretty much.

Subframe and floor, bolts and screws in but not tight, then the sides and front, then tailgate, shove it all around till it fits, then tighten down. If you have a look at the construction you really need the floor boards, at least the side two boards, in place before you fit the sides.

The only parts that really need to be hardwood are the cross bearers. If you doubt how strong they will be, then just double up the rearmost cross bearer - you can put another, slightly shorter, rear cross bearer in and screw it through to the long one.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Perfect. thanks again.