Gear oil for Dodge WCs?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Matchless
Private

Gear oil for Dodge WCs?

Post by Matchless »

New to wartime Dodges, which oil to use in the gearboxes and diffs? I would normally reach for GL4 EP80/90, but have seen reference to GL1 oils. Does it matter?
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Re: Gear oil for Dodge WCs?

Post by June J »

The standard is SAE 90, for the gearbox and transfer case, and EP90 for the diffs. Generally the gear oil would be GL4 and lower but given that neither the gearbox or transfer case have any yellow metals (bronze, brass etc) its ok to use GL4 or GL5 oils. I would suggest you use EP 90 in diffs, gearbox, transfer case and steering box.
My opinion only.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I run gl4. seems like gl5 gets a bit thin and hot. there are some great modern oils tho that lube well and have less resistance that are better than any standard gear oil. but cost is high. with so many boxes and seeing as gl4 works really well for decades I stick with it.
Matchless
Private

Post by Matchless »

Thanks, everyone! The truck is freshly restored and I need to check the levels before giving it a good run. There is a bearing noise from the g'box with the clutch out (foot off pedal) and I am hoping that will abate after some running.