Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Aftermarket gas tank for WC53

Post by Adam in Wa »

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd268.htm

I was looking at gas tanks and found this tank for 41-48 Ford/Mercury. It measures 33 x 22 x 9, and has the filler neck near the corner. The fittings would need to be turned 180 degrees. But overall it looks like this may work, with a little room to spare. With the tank offset 2-1/2 inches to the right there should be plenty of room for a flexible filler hose to pass over the frame rail, to the filler neck.

However, it only has a 17 gallon capacity.

By comparison my stock WC53 gas tank measures 35-1/2 x 22-1/4 x 9, not including the flange where the two halves meet.

I think my tank is salvageable, but if not I may give this a try.
wareagle4590
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: Aftermarket gas tank for WC53

Post by wareagle4590 »

Do you have pics of the original you have for the WC53? I have a fabricator that built four tanks for me. They fit the WC-12 and WC26 trucks. I have pics but I don't know how to post them.
Wareagle
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

All the 3/4 ton tanks were the same, except for the WC53/56/57/58 Carryall and Command if I remember correctly, the difference being filler type and location. I did wonder if it would be easier to get a Weapon Carrier tank and rework the filler than make on from scratch or adapt anything else.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

WC53 Carryall, Gas tank dimensions: 35-1/2 long, 22-1/4 wide, 9 deep. These measurements do not include the flange where the top and bottom were welded together; or of the filler neck. 16 gauge sheet, I believe.

I was able to save my original tank, it was in bad shape with dents, a small crack, and major rust inside. After it’s major surgery I sealed it up, poured acetone in it and checked for leaks. Then painted and installed with new sender and pick up. Works great.

All the baffles in my tank were loose and laying on the floor of the tank; they were originally held in with lead. They also helped hold the pick up line to the floor of the tank (see the notches in the bottom edge of the baffles). The pick up tube fitting on the side of the tank was very small, only 1/4 inch! I welded three of the four baffles back into place and welded up the original pick up fitting hole.

I added a removable top mounted 5/16 pick up and return. This is the second, larger, hole in the top of the tank. There is adequate room by the top of the tank and floor for lines & hoses. If needed, I can remove the pick up and clean it, without removing the tank. All my fuel lines are hard lines, I used the return line fitting for an additional vent, which has fuel hose, going to a small filter.

I also tacked washers on the corners so I could paint the tank, they are heavy.
Last edited by Adam in Wa on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

This is how the tank looked when I cut it open. Very heavy rust on the top/roof of the tank. The bottom floor looked great. All baffles, laying on the bottom, and the pick up hopelessly clogged.

The filler neck looks like a casting, leaded to the tank, with a pipe screwed into the end. This would be very hard to duplicate like an original, but not so bad if just fabricating something dimensionally to fit. I will get some measurements for the filler neck later today.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

My thought would be to get a usable Weapon Carrier tank, and salvage the neck from a destroyed Command or Carryall tank. Those neck castings are quite solid, and on the top of the tank, so even a Command Car tank that was completely rusted out should still have a usable neck.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Excellent idea, salvaging an old filler neck would be ideal.

As far as the measurements it appears the neck is mounted at a 45 degree angle, up from the top horizontal and rear vertical surfaces, so that it protrudes approximately 2 inches up, and out from the tank. And is about 8 inches long (4 inch casting & 4 inch pipe) I had difficulty getting an exact measurement because the tank is currently installed; perhaps someone has one they can measure.
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Wareagle: Gas tank for half-ton

Post by Don »

Who was the fabricator that made the tank for your half-ton?
BobRedfern
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by BobRedfern »

Just wanted to let all of you know on the forum that if you need a new fuel tank for your Dodge WC Series vehicle.... I just had a new stainless steel tank fabricated by Steve and Todd Flokstra of DCM Classics in Michigan....

I sent them my old tank from my 1942 Dodge WC 54 Ambulance and they did an exact reproduction...... it is absolutely perfect... I have also had them send me a new tank for my WC 57 Command Car and my WC 53 Carryall......

They now have on hand two original fuel tanks for specifications of reproduction... as well as the windshield frame from my WC 53 Carryall... They reproduced the windshield frame down to the exact fit..... I highly recommend you reach out to them if you have items that you can't find or need for your restoration projects for the Dodge WC series of vehicles.

I now have two WC 53 Carryall vehicles.. one is an early complete one with the Dodge tag on the nose and the other one is a later 1942 version.... The later one is currently getting a new T214 drive train and the latest one is still in the "wish I had it started phase" of restoration!!

Some folks would not be happy with a reproduction tank, however as you all know there are not very many good ones or NOS left to buy..... I will never have to worry about rust in the tank or the coating in a restored tank flaking off and contaminating the gas.... If your Dodge won't run due to a bad fuel tank.. then there is no need having it... here is the contact information for Steve and his son Todd at DCM Classics 616-772-1165... or send them an email note to dodgecentralmi@gmail.com.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

That is great. Did they fabricate the filler neck, or reuse the original; can you post a picture?

Btw, I ordered windshield glass from DCM and one side was out of spec (too tall) they took care of it no problem, and sent me a new piece. I inquired about side glass for the middle and corner windows for a WC-53 and they said they didn’t have the pattern, so I am sending them the patterns taken from two unbroken originals, along with pics, measurements, etc. I will start a new thread, with pics later this week.
BobRedfern
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by BobRedfern »

They did fabricate the filler neck on the tank and also added the vent line from the tank to the top of the filler neck.... As you know those original tanks were not vented..... very hard to get fuel in.... and now... no problems..... Again, this is an exact reproduction tank down to every detail... only in stainless steel.... The best way to go.. Bob