Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Got my seats back...

Post by Adam in Wa »

I finally got my seats back after seven months in the upholstery shop. I went there about 10 days ago and they were closed, but I could see thru the window my seat frames were sitting where I had left them long ago. I went back the next day (Tuesday) to pick up my frames and take them elsewhere. They told me they would be done by the end of the week (Friday). I didn’t believe they could do quality work in that time and drove down today prepared for disappointment/argument. I was pleasantly surprised. I had the seats built with a firm foam as I could not find suitable replacement springs; and covered in a leather looking vinyl. I could not resist setting them in place for a test sit and pics. I am happy with the results!

I do have a back seat frame and springs, but the springs are in very rough shape, I might be able to save them. I still need a middle seat if anyone knows of a reproduction, or I guess I could make one... it would be nice to have all the seats looking like the front.

gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Re: Got my seats back...

Post by gyknot »

Looks good to me.
Almost look like the old school bus seats. Maybe if you can't find one, you can modify a bus seat?? Pretty sure I'm not the first person to notice/suggest that.
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day Adam .the middle seat is the same shape as the front seat ,except that it has the 2 mounting brackets on the bottom of the frame . It is easy to weld up a frame , If you have a pipe bender . I would not and have not put in the rear seat{ In my wc53 } as it takes up to much room .If you have 6 pluss kid,s you might need it :D Your wc53 is looking good . Ray
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Adam,
John Bizal at Midwest Military used to have reproduction middle seat frames, might be worth an email or phone call.

Cheers

Ian J
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

looks great. how is the foam? does it hold you up? I used to be in the springs only camp but I have a 61 Dodge truck with stock foam seat and it is very comfy. I thinks its actually a combo of spring that are not coils but arced squiggles and foam
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

I have an old ,1978 Ford Bronco, project with my son. It, and all F-150s with a bench seat were all foam over a single layer wire spring base. They were comfortable enough, and lasted a long time.

I have done this before; there are different types of foam obviously, but some are rated by longevity. For example, you can get 7 yr foam, 10 yr, foam and 20 yr foam; of course the cheapest stuff has the shortest life span.

The upholstery shop I used does a lot of cars & boats. They had many samples of foam that I tried, and I eventually picked a firm, but not too firm, foam they recommended. I also asked them about a firm base with a softer top and they said they could do it, but I wouldn’t need it. I have not had a chance to sit in the seat for a long drive, but it feels good.