T214 fuel pump

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
Wolfen
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

T214 fuel pump

Post by Wolfen »

Are the early and late fuel pumps interchangeable? By that, I mean, you don't have to change anything? I was told that a 1958 230 CID Dodge fuel pump would work, but found out that it didn't have the vacuum booster on it for the wipers.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: T214 fuel pump

Post by Kaegi »

None of the WC pumps had the booster for wipers either. that was an option on Chrysler products cars and trucks and stock on all M37s. The M37 pump is the easiest to find. They run about 100 to 175 bucks. various pumps have the lines in slightly different locations but they all bolt on the same across all the mopar flatheads.
Wolfen
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Wolfen »

Thank you. Now I'm confused. I guess I will buy a rebuild kit for mine once I figure out if it is a early version or a late version. It doesn't help that the one latch for the hood will not release when I press down on it. The handle moves, but does not release the latch for the hood.
fred ransome
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Ford GP
1941 MB Slatgrille
1942 Indian
1942 WC-56
Benhur trailer
M100 trailer

Post by fred ransome »

Maybe this will help clear things up.

The WWII Dodge did not power the wipers off of a vacuum pump on the fuel pump. Instead the wipers were powered by the vacuum in the intake manifold. The manifold has a small 5/16 inch (?) tube fitted to the manifold. The wiper vacuum rubber line attached to this tube. Getting the vacuum from the manifold is not ideal, because the manifold vacuum varies with power demand. It's not uncommon for the wipers to stop moving when going up hill. Not a good feature in a heavy rain. Check your manifold for this tube and if the wiper rubber tube is attached to it.

The newer (M37) design with the vacuum from the fuel pump solves this issue. It all depends if you want to be "correct" or want wipers that work under all conditions.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Wolfen wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:48 pm It doesn't help that the one latch for the hood will not release when I press down on it. The handle moves, but does not release the latch for the hood.
There is a bit of a knack to releasing some of the hood latches. I find that the easiest way is to place you're thumb on top of the latch close in to where it passes through the slot whilst at the same time using your first two fingers to pull up on the outer end of the latch from the underside then push your whole hand down and pull toward you.
In effect you are applying a twisting force to the latch that will take up any movement in the unhooking direction.

David