Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Wiring Harness Routing

Post by June J »

Hi folks,
when I installed the new wiring harness in my WC 53 I routed it to the rear of the steering box. This morning I pulled the steering box to remedy some oil leaks, and wonder if I should have routed the harness to the front of the steering box? If so its a perfect opportunity to re-route.

Thoughts??

Cheers
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: Wiring Harness Routing

Post by motto »

I'm fairly sure that the main chassis harness passes below the steering box and comes up forward of it.
That is how I've installed mine and they look ok. (WC63 and WC57)
The brake pressure switch wires branch off conveniently as do the dip switch wires.

David
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Thanks David, just looking at the shop manual, in the lubrication section page L6, figure 22 it shows the steering box filler with what I assume to be fuel line and wiring harness going over the top of the steering box. Go figure???

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Yes, it curves around the front of the steering box and is secured with a 'P' clip before continuing up to the junction block set in the firewall.

David
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I really can't remember, but it is worth pointing out how many illustrations in the manuals were from prototype trucks, or even previous generations ( VC manuals - I'm looking at you here ) so anything like wiring or plumbing routings that were changed or improved during production would seldom, if ever, be seen in the manuals.

If you find a truck that has wiring, plumbing, or similar features in a particular orientation, your default position should be that it is original and correct unless and until you can find evidence to the contrary, or it has obviously been butchered later.

There will be a whole slew of modification work orders and the like that would also affect this - consider the variation in mounting retro-fitted Universal Rifle Brackets, Pioneer Racks, and Jerry Can Carriers to early jeeps and Dodge that left the factory without them. :D
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

motto wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 am I'm fairly sure that the main chassis harness passes below the steering box and comes up forward of it.
That is how I've installed mine and they look ok. (WC63 and WC57)
The brake pressure switch wires branch off conveniently as do the dip switch wires.

David
whats a dip switch?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Kaegi wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 pm whats a dip switch?
Low and high beam switch, it dips the headlights to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers. :D
Gordon, in Scotland

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Gordon_M wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm
Kaegi wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 pm whats a dip switch?
Low and high beam switch, it dips the headlights to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers. :D
I learned something today. ;/) here its just called high beam switch.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

"Two countries separated by a common language". Steve. :mrgreen:
Gordon, in Scotland

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Gordon_M wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 pm "Two countries separated by a common language". Steve. :mrgreen:
I worked on exotic cars from all over the planet and worked with Europeans on some projects and picked up quite a few of the different terms used. here in the US terms vary by region as well. big country.