3/4 Ton Steering Wheel/Column Shaft Diameter

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

3/4 Ton Steering Wheel/Column Shaft Diameter

Post by Forgotten Field »

Hi all!
I had a broken-up steering wheel on a 1943 WC-52. I removed a steering wheel from one of my parts trucks (WC-51), and the diameter of the center hole in the steering wheel was larger than the one which came off the 1943. Does anybody have any insight on this, and where in the serial number range (if any) there was a production change?
Nothing to see here, just move along...
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: 3/4 Ton Steering Wheel/Column Shaft Diameter

Post by Gordon_M »

Don't know anything about that John, what date was the parts truck? If they were going to beef it up then it would make sense to have done it when they beefed the diffs and driveshafts, around the same to the WC 6x6 appeared.

All my Dodge columns and steering wheels have been the same diameter, with only three steering wheel variations:

Black civilian type - early
Green version of the civilian type - mid.
Green version with exposed spokes - late.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Vintage Power Wagons online catalog shows the inside diameter of their steering wheels. They do refer to an early model with a different size. Good luck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_O ... d3TUk/view
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Forgotten Field »

The wheel I removed was a later green open spoke. The one I replaced was a green moulded one. They are definitely different diameters. I measured them but don't have them handy. I'll have to get the serial number off the second truck.
Nothing to see here, just move along...
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

From what I can make of it the steering column used in the T214 (3/4 ton 4x4) and T223 (1-1/2 ton 6x6) were the same and remained so for the entire production run of both vehicles.
The T223 used a heavier pitman arm, drag link and steering arm ball than the T214 but as stated above, the same column was used in both vehicles.
My guess would be that somewhere along the way an incorrect steering column or modified shaft has been installed in one of your vehicles

David