Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Data tag placement.

Post by Adam in Wa »

I cleaned up my glove box data tag using an electrolytic derusting process; it was kind of rusty in spots, but came out very clean. Some of the numbers were very lightly stamped and I am thinking about just clear coating it because paint will probably hide some of the faint numbers; besides the other data tags are/will be unpainted.

The other tags on my glove box door were missing so I looked at the manual to see what else should be there... the manual shows the I.d. Data tag on the lower left side of the door, but mine was on the top right. Still riveted into place... at least the numbers match. Was there a production change regarding the tag placement?

And thanks to Lang for the photo posting info!
Last edited by Adam in Wa on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Data tag placement.

Post by Gordon_M »

There was some variation, certainly.

The manuals show the tag locations on the very early trucks or prototypes, and some of those illustrations were of the civilian trucks too. If you have the original stick with that layout and you can't go wrong, though I'd guess one got rearranged, rebuild tags, and so on over the years.

Main chassis number tag was always riveted, so if those rivets haven't been disturbed you are good.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

you can buy new sets of data plates. I have a few sets left in brass. some were brass from the factory. Zinc are available. best zinc ones I have seen are from the guy in Poland
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Brass would be much nicer. Which tags are included with the set?
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I cant post pics here because files are too large. I can email you the pics of different options. I should have everything for WC53. if your adding winch I have that set as well
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Kaegi wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 am I cant post pics here because files are too large.
You can use Postimages as previously mentioned in another topic. Choose the size of your photo and it will automatically resize your photo when you post.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC