Zenith vs Cater carbs

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Wolfen
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Zenith vs Cater carbs

Post by Wolfen »

I know that the early 3/4 ton and 1.5 ton DODGES came with the Zenith carb and the later ones came with the Cater carb. I was wondering which one was superior? I'm asking, because my WC63 has a Zenith carb on it, but is missing a cover plate. I have been unable to locate a replacement plate. So I will probably have to buy a whole carb.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Zenith vs Cater carbs

Post by Kaegi »

I have never had a zenith but have found the carter to be excellent. it was almost unchanged on mopar 6s for many decades. it will run smoothly at extreme angles off road as well. ive been almost vertical on my nose a couple times and still running perfect. one of those times was a bit stressful as I almost went over forward. would not have been fun without seatbelts or a roll bar. ;/)
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Re: Zenith vs Cater carbs

Post by June J »

My WC 57 and WC 53 both have Zenith model 29 carbs, both ran fine once I opened up the main jet to 0.045" and reset the governor.
Like Kaegi I do go offroad with my vehicles and the Zenith has never given me any grief when off road driving, even when bunny hopping over stony river bead!

Both are good carbs. You say there is a cover missing from your Zenith, what cover are you referring to please? If its the governor cover you should be able to simply purchase the governor (which is also the throttle body) or I'm sure someone here on this site would have a spare cob=ver.

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf