Post war fuel tank fitting

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post war fuel tank fitting

Post by PareosWC »

Guys, I'm attempting to fit a European post war fuel tank into my WC52, and it's going real smooth. Although I took a lot of pictures before disassembly, can you please tell me (2) items?

1. Does the front of the tank drop by about an inch when compared to the rear portion? Like it's sitting at a slight angle towards the fuel tank bottom outlet?

2. In an attempt to find the best fitting of the straps, how much space is there between the fuel tank inlet and the frame rail? When I have the top two supports secured, the neck rests against the frame, and that can't be good for it over time...

Last edited by PareosWC on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Re: Post war fuel tank fitting

Post by Adam in Wa »

I don’t know the answers, but you will need at least enough clearance for the connector hose & clamp. Can you measure the body to see where it needs to be?
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Mate . Yes the tank look,s about right .The The tank is a bit lower at the front, so that you will be able to fill the tank tight up to nearly full . {Very small air gap } There is very little distance between the filler neck and frame ,{As you have in your picture}So long as it is not touching ,it should be all right.Do you have the webbing under the tank ? . This will lift tank . Maybe 2-3 mm .Depending on thickness of webbing . I used strips of Rubber , between tank and straps . Make sure that you earth the tank to frame . ,other wise there is a good chance that your fuel guage may not work to well. The only way that the current can get back to neg earth is via the fuel line . Hope this helps. Ray
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Thank you, guys! The tank is fitted, and with your advice, should service real well. The last hurdle is to ensure that the bed clears the tank as well.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

tank looks good. are they available somewhere?
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Kaegi, this one fell into my lap from a friend in another state. I was whining and crying that my original was with a tank refurb company for close to a year, and in the end, they really didn't know what they had gotten themselves into. I'm still a bit upset with that fiasco...

The tank does look good- baffles welded back into place, pick up tube cleared out, blasted clean, then lined. New sending unit installed, and I'm praying that she'll give me trouble free service :thumbup: