Gas Tank

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
superdave
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: M135, M37, M43, M151, M152, M275A2, M35A2, Gamma Goat, 1942 MK1 Bren gun Carrier, Laylend Daf. Iltis WC54 WC52

Gas Tank

Post by superdave »

Has anyone found a modern replacement fuel tank to fit a WC62 ( I believe they are the same as the 51-52 as well ) as my friend is trying to get his back on the road from a 20 year rest and he found that his fuel lines from front to back were completely plugged and he removed that gas tank only to find out that its full with about 40 lbs of muck and rust holes every where and its not salvageable. I tried doing a search with not much luck and thought a while back that someone had found a modern fuel tank that would work until he can find a original one to put back in.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Gas Tank

Post by zepher11 »

Hi Superdave,

I saw this tank for sale near me that looks very similar to a WC51/52/62/63 tank. Price is right as a replacement unit until an original could be found. Maybe call and get the dimensions to see if it is even close. It's in the town where I live, so could bring it to you at Plymouth if you're coming down.

Just a thought: https://redding.craigslist.org/pts/d/ch ... 59485.html
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
superdave
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: M135, M37, M43, M151, M152, M275A2, M35A2, Gamma Goat, 1942 MK1 Bren gun Carrier, Laylend Daf. Iltis WC54 WC52

Post by superdave »

Thanks for the reply Zepher on that, We can get most of the new replacement tanks up here but it would be nice to know fore sure what aplication will fit with the least amount of work to install it and I thought that someone in that past had done one. We are still looking at options at the moment and I guess worst case will most likely have to get one custom made.
BobRedfern
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by BobRedfern »

Just wanted to let all of you know on the forum that if you need a new fuel tank for your Dodge WC Series vehicle.... I just had a new stainless steel tank fabricated by Steve and Todd Flokstra of DCM Classics in Michigan.... I sent them my old tank from my 1942 Dodge WC 54 Ambulance and they did an exact reproduction...... it is absolutely perfect... I have also had them send me a new tank for my WC 57 Command Car and my WC 53 Carryall......

Some folks would not be happy with a reproduction tank, however as you all know there are not very many good ones or NOS left to buy..... I will never have to worry about rust in the tank or the coating in a restored tank flaking off and contaminating the gas.... If your Dodge won't run due to a bad fuel tank.. then there is no need having it... here is the contact information for Steve and his son Todd at DCM Classics 616-772-1165... or send them an email note to dodgecentralmi@gmail.com.