Electric wipers for closed cab

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1941 WC closed cab

Electric wipers for closed cab

Post by 41powerwagon »

Would like to know if anyone has put electric wipers in their truck. My truck was converted to 12 volt many years ago and the vacuum wipers were in the box of parts that came with the truck. I’m getting very close to being done and don’t believe the vacuum motors are correct. Don’t match parts book. Any experiences would be appreciated.
Thx Rick
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Electric wipers for closed cab

Post by Kaegi »

the post war factory type electric motors are on the weak side. they don't swipe as many degrees as the vacuum motors. there is a cable operated kit out there somewhere with mixed reviews. I read the plastic parts can fail. I have got by with vacuum i prefer the full swiping. on the next one I might ad an electric vacuum pump so they don't stop on hills.
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1941 WC closed cab

Post by 41powerwagon »

Electric vacuum pump sounds intriguing. Anybody with some insight?
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi there,
I have fitted electric wipers to my WC 53, I used American Bosch motors that I found on eBay. They took a little bit of messing around to get them in but I did not have to modify any sheet metal!

I did have to modify the angled shaft adapters that sets the angle of the wiper motor shaft through the roof, but John Bizal at MWM had replacements so no big deal.

Personally I HATE vacuum wipers! New Zealand is too hilly and too darn wet to mess with wipers that stop when you go up a hill!!! :evil:

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

if you do a google search there are many options of electric vacuum pumps out there. even in 6 volt. another option is to run an M37 fuel pump. it has a vacuum pump build into it to assist the engine vacuum. you can find good ones for anywhere from about 35 to 120 usd. ebay they pop up regularly