How do you remove budd lugs

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Gijoew
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

How do you remove budd lugs

Post by Gijoew »

Alright, I give up how do you remove the rear budd lugs on a wc12? I've tried a few things but I don't want to screw anything up.
Thank You
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: How do you remove budd lugs

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day . Maybe they are both Left hand threads ..But if they are Right handed threads . Then it a case of using a bigger wheel nut remover ,with a bigger breaker bar for more leverage . Ray
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Yes, be aware of the use of L/H threaded studs and nuts. They should be on the L/H side of the vehicle only but have been known to migrate.
On one episode of Myth Busters they acquired a CCKW to carry out some sort of experiment and in their ignorance ended up using a cutting torch to remove some of the wheels.
Sometimes knowledge is gained a little too late.

David
Gijoew
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Gijoew »

Thank you, do you remove the big, square stud, or just spin the lug nut off?
jeff
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 Willys MB
1942 WC-54
1952 M100

Post by jeff »

Did the truck have dual rear wheels at one time ? Most truck shops will have a square drive socket in 3/4 drive to remove the budd nuts. Like the boys stated the left side should be left handed threads. My WC 54 had one left and one right on each side when I got her. Good Luck
41-42 WC
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1942 WC12
1941 closed cab
many parts 1/2 tons, closed and open cabs

Post by 41-42 WC »

Gijoew wrote:Thank you, do you remove the big, square stud, or just spin the lug nut off?
Yes you need to remove the square stud, the lug nut will come off with that stud, If you don't have the correct wrench, I've done it with a large adjustable wrench or pipe wrench
CSCameron
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by CSCameron »

The lug should have an "L" or an "R" stamped into the end of it.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

If you have square ended nuts they are for use in a dual wheel installation. These nuts are threaded inside and out and are used to retain the inner wheel. The outer wheel then slips over them and the hexagonal nuts installed to retain it.
If your truck has only single wheels but square ended nuts, they are what is retaining the wheel and the hexagonal nuts are just along for the ride.
If your truck has dual wheels then the hexagonal nuts are undone first to remove the outer wheel. Sometimes a nut is tight on the threads and will start unscrewing the square headed nut. Things can get a little awkward if that happens.
IIRC square nuts are 13/16" A/F and hexagonal nuts 1-1/2" A/F

David
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

David

I think you can swing on the big nuts as much as you want as the inner square will only wind until it pushes against the outer wheel. If it is the last one that is stuck you might have to put the others lightly back on to hold the rim to get purchase.

A bit of light heat will move them.

Lang
Gijoew
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Gijoew »

Thanks guys, heat and beat solves all.