Starter Motor Engagement

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Starter Motor Engagement

Post by BrianT »

Hi guys, I just wanted to get others experience of their starter motors. I have 2 x 12v starters for the WC51 Lohner and have been attempting to adjust them to avoid the clash of cogs on the flywheel. I have followed the tolerances in the manual but am still getting a clash of cogs on about I of every 10 starts. The motors have been in and out of the car a few times for adjusting.
Is this a standard condition for these vehicles or should I be looking for something else?

Cheers,
Brian

1945 Dodge WC51 Lohner Radio Van
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Starter Motor Engagement

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi Brian,
the plunger on the starter switch is adjustable. Simply turn the button that the foot pedal pushes down on (by the little lever on top of the starter) clockwise to allow the pinion to more fully engage with the flywheel ring gear before the switch closes and turns the starter motor. It's a bit of trial and error but one or two turns of the plunger is probably all it will take. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

Hi Ian, that's what I've been adjusting but I can't get a consistent faultless start.
Cheers,
Brian

1945 Dodge WC51 Lohner Radio Van
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

have you tried lubricating the bendix? I have had to soaked mine in oil then let it drain out well and it has solved that issue