Wher'd the oil go?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wher'd the oil go?

Post by PareosWC »

TM calls for (5)qts of oil in my WC52 (civy Dodge 230). I removed the filter, cleaned the housing, and dumped every bit of oil from the pan. Placed 5 fresh quarts back in, knowing the filter housing gets some as well.

My dipstick that inserts straight into the block registers that I'm still about a quart low?

What am I missing? Wrong dipstick, perhaps?
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Wher'd the oil go?

Post by Kaegi »

takes 6 when you change the filter and 7 in extreme off-road conditions.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Thanks- makes sense :wink:

Is that written in the TM somewhere??
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I am pretty sure its in the TM 9808. might be under the lube section or the operations section?
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Andersun »

TM 9808 May 12 1943

Chart on page 96 lists 5 quarts. But .............

When refilling oil, the instructions on the next page say to fill crankcase to "FULL" mark on gauge. Run engine a few minutes and refill to somewhere between "1/2 FULL" and "FULL" on gauge. The distance between the two marks on the stick is about an inch which equates to a lot of oil.

My dip stick on my T214 has "ADD OIL" and "FULL" on it, not "1/2 FULL".

As Kaegi says, you will need more than 5 quarts if replacing the filter. I put in 6 and it ended up just a sliver above "FULL" after I ran the engine.

5.5 to 5.8 quarts would do it for my T214 engine. My oil pressure remained normal even though I was just above the "FULL" mark. Obviously there is always room for error with these trucks as they were built to take a lot of punishment.
Steve
1943 WC57
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

if you were a sliver over full with 6 it might just be that the fill tube was pressed in a bit too far or the stopper on the stick has moved up. ALL American engines up until the 90s (most still do) take an exact number of US quarts in the crank case to arrive at the full mark. Even today the marks on the dipstick from "add" to "full"on US vehicles always equals 1 US quart. it wasn't until the metric system started corrupting a perfect system that you have odd capacity amounts. ;/) I may have read what I posted before in the more indepth manuals or a later Power Wagon manual. but the oil pans are the same size either way so still applies.
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Andersun »

No oil tube. Inserts into lower block. TM shows no tube also. I've learned that nothing is exact anyways.
Steve
1943 WC57
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

do you have a 1/2 ton? I think 1/2 tons and maybe early 3/4 tons have no dipstick tube also. the dipstick just rides in the hole in the block. all of my 3/4 tons have had a dip stick tube. the tube set up does a better job keeping water and debris from getting into the oil
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Andersun »

I have a 3/4 ton WC w/ T214

TM is 9-808 May 12, 1943
Steve
1943 WC57