Fuel Pump overworking?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fuel Pump overworking?

Post by PareosWC »

I have a Dodge 230 that I just recently replaced the fuel pump on. The previous aftermarket pump (2nd pic) had my WC52 purrin' like a kitten, except that it was dumping fuel straight into the crankcase :wink: .

The next day, I took a rebuilt/restored WW2 pump(1st pic), and placed it on, and as long as a fuel line is not hooked up, the Dodge idles fine with what is in the fuel bowl. However, as soon as I place a rubber fuel line(temp tank) straight into the inlet, fuel starts gushing from the overflow hole that is at the top of the carbie (3rd pic). What am I missing on this 3/4T fuel pump that causes it to push fuel at an unbelievable rate? Is it that the carb/motor are a 230 from a 50's Dodge car, and the carb can't handle the flow??

Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Fuel Pump overworking?

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Mate . In Australia we have a problem with the new fuels that the y make . They attack the older type diaphrams and let fuel flow into the sump .Your problem sounds like this ... Get Tm-10-1531 page /section 03.18 fuel . It explains it fairly well . Your problem could be a badly seated valve . {In the new pump }. Anyway read the manual , It explains it better than i could . Ray
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

That was my thought as well , The diaphram went bad in the old pump,
and as far as the carb overfill I'd check the needle and seat in the carb,
it may have a small piece of junk in it , or bad needle if it is made out of
rubber ( the tip ) as opposed to a brass needle tip .
fred ransome
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Ford GP
1941 MB Slatgrille
1942 Indian
1942 WC-56
Benhur trailer
M100 trailer

Post by fred ransome »

The fuel pump is designed to pump more fuel than the engine requires. I think Krisinwa st. is on the proper track. When the fuel in the bowl reaches the right level the float is supposed to close the needle valve. Either the needle valve is stuck open or the float may be adjusted improperly or maybe the float has sprung a leak and is "water logged" (full of gas instead of air). I would remove the top of the carb and manually hold the needle valve is the closed position. Crank engine with ignition OFF while holding needle valve closed! No fuel should come past the needle valve into the bowl. If it does the needle or seat are defective or contaminated. If OK, next check the float. Remove it. It should be very light since the inside should be only air. If heavy then you need a new float or must drain and repair the leak. Finally check the float adjustment per the manual.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

If its a faulty carb, I wonder why this issue didn't occur just 24hrs ago with the aftermarket fuel pump? Put in a new fuel pump, and it pushes fuel like crazy. I'll check the carb and pump and get back to you guys
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Maybe the new fuel pump had a small peice of junk in it and it
now is in the needle / seat holding it open allowing the bowl
to overfill ? also you could put a inline mech. fuel pressure gauge
to see what the pump is putting out , if I remember correctly these
motors only need 2 to 3 lbs fuel pressure.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Disconnected the carb inlet tube, pulled the top off of the Carter carb. Float was empty and not fuel logged, so I blew into the inlet and was able to move air with the float up or down :roll: .

Removed the float, needle, and seat- cleaned out any minute particles present, and reassembled. Blew into the inlet, and now I have a solid cut off and flow... for now :lol: .

Once again, a problem so simple, made out to be a larger one...
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Post by G. Miskovsky »

I had a similar problem a few months ago. The rubber in the cutoff needle had become worn or imprinted and would not seal. Switched it out and had no problems.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

The spring under the diaphragm controls fuel pressure. if the spring is the wrong rating the fuel pressure will overcome the ability of the float valve to control fuel flow and flood the carb.

First thing to check is the float and float valve, you can do that by pulling the carb top off, reconnect the fuel line and work the hand pump handle on the fuel pump. gentle pressure on the float valve with your finger should be enough to stop the fuel flow.

If its the spring that's the problem, cannabalise the spring from your old pump.

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB