Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Paint

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Looking for some input about "reasonably priced " enamel paint
and primer for my WC 22 project that I'm starting this spring , not
looking to do a show piece , the paint will be my biggest expense
as I have everthing else that I need ( except new wheel cylinders )
any suggestions greatly appreciated . Thanks , Kris
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong MT500EC Canadian Military Dispatch Motorcycle

Re: Paint

Post by SteveJ »

search this on ebay. Paint Olive Drab Flat One Gallon 33070 WWII Army Vehicles G503 G502 G200 G104
$37 a gallon. Thats about the best price Ive seen.
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Thanks Steve , I'll check it out . Kris
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by JBizal »

There is so much more to paint that price. Why do people decide to reduce the final product to price? The last thing people see in your restoration whether it is a factory or a motor pool is the paint. Cheap is not always best. The old adage "you get what you pay for" rings so true here.
John
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I agree with Jon, penny wise, pound foolish. Military reasons for painting vehicle, 1 Preservation, 2 Camouflage 3, Apperance. The other thing is poor paint, poor adhesion , poor coverage= twice the job x twice the price. I go to my local Dulux centre and ask their advice, and they can match any colour as well.

It also depends on your local regulations for paint composition, but a self galvanising primer is the best I've found, that was recommended to me by the man who was in charge of painting the Forth Road Bridge, then every metal bridge in London. He could make drying paint intresting! :D
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52

Post by SteveJ »

You guys are missing the point. Kris is just looking for some input on paint. He did not say he wanted poor paint nor does price depict poor either. (within reason) He also did not say he wanted cheap paint. I am sure he will do his own research and make a decision on what paint to buy. They're are a bunch of suppliers selling mil spec paint. All claiming theirs is correct. Ive seen it from $35 to $88 a gallon, each one can show their own research and lineage back to the first can of OD.
It makes this whole question very confusing.

Another reason the military paints a vehicle is to keep the boys from being idle. And chances are they will grab any paint they find thin it with gas and put it on with a mop or a broom. :lol:
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

if you have colour centres in your part of the world. Take a pice of metal from the vehicle that is a reasonable colour,, Get them to quote for a suitable paint and match the colour! Fresh protection old look! :D I did that on one of mine, and they threw in a dose of matt, Brush painted on a Dodge WC51 ,cost about £60.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Steve , thank you for your comments , you hit the nail on the head , I'm not trying to
be cheap but frugal I live on a very tight budget and this restore is somthing that I've
been wanting to do for a long time , and I really need to watch my spending to make it
a reality . Kris