Chevrolet questions question

DDoyle
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Chevrolet questions question

Post by DDoyle »

Hi guys,
I am making progress on my G-506 Chevrolet book. This will be comparable to my DUKW, CCKW and Dodge volumes - that is, pretty large.

So, as I sift through the information that I have - and continue scouring archives for more information - the question arises - what do YOU want to know?

Going into this project, I am admittedly less familiar with the Chevy than I was with the subjects named above - thus the reason for this question.

Respectfully, please don't ask me when the book will be out. I simply don't know. The DUKW, CCKW and Dodge books all took 8-10 years to research and write, and then another year or two to produce. My half-track book was in the hands of the publisher for five years before it became available. So, while I have already devote considerable time to researching (and writing) this volume, there is no need for anyone to put this on their Christmas list for this year!

However, I do appreciate your help - especially with the "what do you want to know and want to see" questions.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Chevrolet questions question

Post by retro-roco »

David,

Glad to hear you're looking for a new challenge. One thing I'd like to see is G506 model production data BY CONTRACT, with serial number ranges for trucks produced after 1942. I've got a spreadsheet I've been compiling, with references; but information after 1942 seems nearly non-existent. Much of my spreadsheet came from the Vehicles Of Victory manual, but has been augmented by serial number ranges found in some of the maintenance and SNL manuals that I have.

I'll give this some more thought, and I'm sure I can come up with other interests.

Regards,
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

compile pictures and descriptions of the differences in production, such as body styles (i.e. when they went from one peice all steel cargo to wood/steel)

Cab differences.. ash tray. military gauge cut in serial number/date times vs civy gauges.

stuff like that.

I know there are a few treads on variuos sites that are on going with this info, but getting it into a book for prosperity would be nice. ya never know when on of these great sites will no longer be up.. it happens.

other things I think would be information on the heil / hercules dumps.

so far all I was touching on was the cargo trucks.

Now if your intending to include the panel trucks, apole setting auger trucks, etc, I beleive there is little info on these trucks out there. for instance, are there many (any) pictures of the inside of a panel truck with all radio gear and placement?

are there many pictures of the gear/tools stored in a auger truck?

I guess all that would be helpful.

BTW... I found an old authentic period photo I got somewhere of the inside of a chevy radio truck (panel). When I was considering the purchase of a dodge panel truck, I bought it, thinking it was a dodge panel.. it was a chevy. contact me if you think you could use.. :)
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

Orange county register had a picture of a panel with all the gear in it at Disneyland's opening day. It was post military in civilian hands but still full of military gear. I also received an email a few days ago with a panel with a generator in the rear vs a Ben hur trailer. I know a few owners that are always searching for photos of panel trucks
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
DDoyle
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DDoyle »

Thanks for the input so far guys. Keep the questions/suggestions coming.

In response to an inquiry I got by email - and to clarify for everyone else as well - while this book will be similar in style to my WWII Dodge and US Half-track books, it will probably be closer in size to my DUKW book (304 pages) than the Dodge book (1100 pages). Part of this is because it focuses solely on G-506 (while the Dodge covered G-121, G-502, G-505, G-507 and G-741.

Also, although GM has been great with support for this project, their surviving documents on G-506 production do not seem to be nearly as extensive as the records on CCKW and DUKW were (although I am still digging - after all, for years people posted on forums that GM had no records on the CCKW!)

Yes, it will cover the panel and both the telephone trucks.

Best,
David
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

Hi David,

Will the book include anything on the G085 Bomb Service Truck ?
DDoyle
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DDoyle »

Tom Wolboldt wrote:Hi David,

Will the book include anything on the G085 Bomb Service Truck ?
Yes
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Hopefully you don't use photos of the bomb truck you used in the allied and axis book with a gtb bomb hoist on it.
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
DDoyle
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DDoyle »

wc 9 and 12 owner wrote:Hopefully you don't use photos of the bomb truck you used in the allied and axis book with a gtb bomb hoist on it.
Sorry for not being more specific - this book, like the DUKW and CCKW Historical Reference books - consists entirely of several hundred archival photos.

Best wishes,
David
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Cool. I have 50 or so bomb truck pictures in my archive if you need any
General Chesty Puller
jameshawke
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: WC 1
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

Post by jameshawke »

Hello David

Hope alls well, I would be very interested in your Chevy book, regarding the complete series of WW2 Chevrolet trucks in particular the 1.5 ton Panel, Bomb and Dump, manufacturing figures and possible quantity figures of trucks that are left in the 1.5 ton range.
Also if there were any varients.

Regards
James
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

I would hope to see some information on the USAAF gunnery training trucks. There seems to be very little known about them and I don't know of any in existence today. If GM had nothing to do with them other than to provide the basic truck perhaps they are outside the scope of your book?

David
DDoyle
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DDoyle »

motto wrote:I would hope to see some information on the USAAF gunnery training trucks. There seems to be very little known about them and I don't know of any in existence today. If GM had nothing to do with them other than to provide the basic truck perhaps they are outside the scope of your book?

David
Actually, much like my CCKW book, I intend to include coverage of all the variants, regardless of who built the body. As to your specific question, yes, there will be coverage of the gunnery trainers. I've already secured a good bit of material on these, but of course am still seeking more :)

Best,
David Doyle
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

There is a guy east of Sacramento California with 2-3 of the ball turret trucks unrestored with no turrets. Also Taigh Ramey who puts on the bomber camps has recreated a few
General Chesty Puller
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Would like to see photos of G-506 in Postwar Service. The MARS Station at DOW FIELD, Maine had a Chev 4X4 Cargo that was with them from end of WWII thru 1961, it was OD with USAF Markings. Not sure if the final USAF Registration was the older WWII or the late system indicating the date of issue. Their K-52 CCKW was there until 1961 also.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it