Late 30s Dodges?

gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Late 30s Dodges?

Post by gpw_42 »

Gents,

Can anyone ID these two trucks? I'm assuming they're both Dodges, but this era is outside my knowledge. The ambulance is particularly intriguing!

These are the best pics I can provide on the site (as .jpgs) - I have a .pdf of each, but can't upload those to Photobucket (my hosting service). Anyhow, they came from the great nephew of the corporal pictured. The corporal was part of the Medical Detachment of the 15th Field Artillery at Ft. Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX) in the 1936-8 period.

and

Thanks,
Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
1941 WC-1 restoration required
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Late 30s Dodges?

Post by Gordon_M »

The bottom one looks like a 1940 T203 VF 1.5 ton cargo, that type of guard is unique to the 1940 model.

I can't see enough of the ambulance to comment much, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a 4 x 2 VF dually based on the 1.5 ton chassis. If it has the same guard as the bottom truck it is a 1940 VF, but is the guard is different it might be a 1941-47 WF based vehicle.

Dodge did do panel van bodies for the standard 1.5 ton chassis, but not very common
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

Gordon,

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable response! I'm a bit surprised that the bottom truck is a 1940, but the documents which came with the pics were from the 1937-1941 period, so it makes sense.

Hope these pics help someone understand the timeline of vehicle development a little better.

Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
1941 WC-1 restoration required
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Might be able to do better on the ambulance if I can see the PDF - I assume it is bigger?

gordon(at)dodge.org.uk
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )