command car body panels

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
somewhere in suffolk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

command car body panels

Post by somewhere in suffolk »

The command car that I have recently aquired has been heavily modified for use by the french as some kind of telegraph pole vehicle. This includes having the rear end completely removed and being turned into a pick up.although drastic this has been done well and sympathetically.the body and floor has been cut across from the middle of the rear doorway leaving a substantial part of the front body left.all of which is in good condition including the seat frame and rust free chassis.
what I hope to do is buy a new floor and a rear end and two sides which I plan to cut and join at the rear doorway to what I already have leaving mostly original metalwork. although a complete bolt on body would be nice, it would be wrong to remove whats left.
My question really is that there is a few people who seem to fabricate parts but ive seen pictures only, parts seem to be available from france, belgium,america and australia so there are options available.in an ideal world I would like to buy as much as I could from midwest and keep it american, but shipping and the vat man means high prices in comparison to european.
Has anyone got opinions or first hand knowledge of any of the products available ?
Jimmy
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: command car body panels

Post by motto »

Simon Allen of Victoria, Australia produces 3/4 ton Command Car bodies or parts thereof on request. He doesn't stock them but makes whatever is required and his work is first class. He has shipped overseas in the past.

David
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I've done that job. I was lucky enough to get a rear body the French army had cut off, via Pete Gray and Allan Chapman, many years back.

There is a joint in the rolled edge side panels right about the middle of the rear cutout - that'a where you need to be. Look at the rear floor to see where best to join it. I'd suggest a whole rear floor panel, but if you join it anywhere else make sure the join is covered by the seat.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
somewhere in suffolk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Gordon, yes I was thinking a whole rear floor aswell,this should definately aid with the build because it should serve as a template for the sides and back when I attach them.im hoping to build it all up on the chassis.
lucky you for finding a body, i should imagine I would do well to find a useable original one now anywhere !
In its civilian life it had a wooden cab fitted over the existing one.this has preserved the condition well and the sheet metal is mainly good also the chassis has not been altered.
I was hoping to get in touch with simon allen in australia and maybe mail a pic to them of what I have/need.Perhaps Ray or someone else could p.m me there details?
Jimmy
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

PM sent. I think so but not sure because it went into the out box not the sent? I've never got a grip on what that's about, why doesn't it just go to sent?
Anyway, talk to Simon when/if you get his address. As he makes the components from scratch he can produce whatever you want tailored to your exact needs and send it as a flat pack.

David
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

I have seen Simons work and vouch that its first class.

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC-57

Post by Loffy770 »

I think you will find this interesting http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=172685

//Roger
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

I have seen this Command Car and the workmanship is 1st class!

Cheers
Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
svaasand
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 51, WC57, WC62, WC54

Post by svaasand »

I have part of a command car body available. It is cut behind the front seats, the remains of a swedish pickup conversion:
http://1drv.ms/1bZ9XSa

Floor is rusted out, but sides and rear is good.

Located in Norway...

-Lars
WC51/WC52/WC54/WC57/WC62 and jeep
somewhere in suffolk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Hi lars.
could you send some more pics please.
jimmy
somewhere in suffolk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Loffy,
great link. That is some good quality workmanship.
Thanks
Jimmy
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

There was a half ton in the states available only the rear half.
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller