Tow vs Trailer

36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Tow vs Trailer

Post by 36th Tom »

I am considering towing my 1942 Ford 1-1/2 ton with a tow bar as opposed to trailering it. Has anyone who has been there done that have any wisdom to impart?

The Tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton Suburban that has plenty of horses for the weight. The Ford is only 2wd, and I may pull the drive flanges out to save wear & tear on the drive line.

The idea sounds good in theory, but am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,
Tom
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Re: Tow vs Trailer

Post by gyknot »

Not an expert by any means, but I would have one concern about flat towing it.
With a trailer you have brakes on the towed load, but flat towing with a bar gives you no brakes on it.
Not sure how far or how flat your towing is planned but I wouldn't do it around this part of the country.
My 2 cents worth.
George
gi dad 1
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC4, WC8, WC15, WC23, WC63, 42MB(Sat Grill), 42GPW(VEP), Ben Hur Trailer( Hercules), '76 Condor A350 MC.

Post by gi dad 1 »

I flat towed a 1/2 ton Command Car about 500 miles behind a motor home. Didn't feel safe going over 50 mph because it got real squirrelly and hard to stop. Also, your turning radius is longer and you can't back up. It can be done if your tow rig is big enough and you don't have anything else. I finally got a good trailer and have hauled up to a 1 1/2 6x6 Dodge at freeway speeds comfortably. Its all about safety. Buy, borrow or rent a trailer with brakes. You'll have a much safer trip.
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

Thanks Guys, sounds like the tow bar idea only works if I'm using an M35 Deuce as the tow vehicle.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Do not do it, the Ford Truckwill throw you all over the road, will push you sideways when slowing for corners, it is too large and too heavy for your tow vehicle. A CDL is required to tow a vehicle that heavy.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it