Lower door weatherstrip continued

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Lower door weatherstrip continued

Post by Dozerman51 »

Not to burst anyone's bubble , but my 1/2 Ton WC-12 serial # 8682297 most certainly did have the Weatherstrip on the bottom edge of the doors. The WS is held in place by metal clips that are pressed in holes along the bottom of the doors. The WS was gone, but some of the clips were still in place on the door when I purchased the truck some 26 years ago. The hard part is finding the right size and shape of WS that fits the metal clips . Years ago I bought new clips and WS from VPW, the clips were NOS for a different Dodge application , but were Identical to the ones still on my doors, the WS not even close. On the 39-47 Dodge truck forum, this subject was discussed. I believe one forum member found some WS that fit the clips. Oh, and one last thing, the doors I have on my truck are military doors with the metal not cardboard panels and the door glass has the metal strip around it.
RWatson
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Lower door weatherstrip continued

Post by RWatson »

Continue the continue, looking at my Dodge truck parts list book. Dated June 1st 1941. Picture plate 41 page 18-2. Item 15. I would never, EVER doubt Gordon's insight, but heck, what am I looking at. Could it be I have a half ton, very very early date?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Hmm

I remember ordering weatherstrip for my T214 Carryall, and then when I came to fit it, the door bottom edge wasn't drilled for it and neither were there any signs that it had ever been there.

Early trucks would just have used civilian doors, but I've never bothered to look at the bottom edges of my 1940 VC 3 doors ( I have two sets ) must do that if I get a chance. I expect if the T207s were drilled for it then the T202 and T203 would have been too. The fact that some trucks did have it would account for it being at least in the Master Parts List.

The use of the metal door panel, rather than the cardboard with the metal retainer strip, should have started with the T207 series, so sometime between T207 and T214 they did away with the lower weatherstrip and stopped drilling the holes for it.

What we need now is some input from T207, T211, and T215 hard cab pickup, Carryall, and Ambulance owners telling us whether or not their doors are drilled for it, to move us forward.

Currently it seems T207 had the strip, and T214 did not - anyone with a T211 or T215 then?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hello Gordon,
As stated above, my T-211 WC-12 did have the clips and weatherstripping when it left the factory. Being serial #8682297 that would mean up to my truck at least, the factory was still installing the clips and weatherstripping. DOD on my truck was 09-29-41.
Regards,
Joe Giraud
San Carlos, CA
41 WC-12 original serial #8682297, now 8676966
40' Cat D2/3J#4103
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Thanks Joe, any advance on September 1941 then?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi Gordon,
My T214 Carry-All is definitely drilled for WS and glass sweeps. The passengers door still has the Budd plate under the sheet metal door trim, all windows have the metal glass guides.

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
41powerwagon
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1941 WC closed cab

Post by 41powerwagon »

Back from the past. FINALLY installing weather strip.
Does anyone have any old pics of the so said weatherstrip on the bottom of the door. Need to see how installed.
PS at Willow Run in MI today. Flew in the B-17. You HAFTA do this. It was so awesome,breathtaking. And gosh can’t find the words when they flew those into battle. Humbling does not even come close.