THE GMC TRUCK IN US SERVICE by DAVID DOYLE

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

THE GMC TRUCK IN US SERVICE by DAVID DOYLE

Post by RANGER »

It's a MUST!
Hardcover/Softcover, 504 pages, 1200 photos.
A real coffee table book for the CCKW fan.
By David Doyle which guarantees it to be good.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: THE GMC TRUCK IN US SERVICE by DAVID DOYLE

Post by RANGER »

Got my copy today it is DYNAMITE and exceeded my expectations. Been waiting for a book like this for ages The hundreds of clear and detailed WWII period photos of factory fresh CCKW's of every imaginable body type are just what restorers hope for, this book is a wealth of CCKW knowledge and history and guaranteed to keep the CCKW enthusiast, collector and restorer glued to every page. You will not be disappointed.

The more I read it the more interesting it is. One can study the hundreds of photos and pick out a USA registration that would be close to your own and get a good idea of what features your cab or body would have looked like when new. I have found some photos of new 1st Series SWB CCKW's and noted features such as mirrors, reflector types, USA font, cargo body features, tire treads, toolbox padlock style, etc..
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
MikeKB
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 WC51

Post by MikeKB »

I don't own a CCKW ( I'm restoring a WC51) however I bought the book anyway from David Doyle at the MVPA show in Portland. Great photos, well written book :thumbup:
Maybe, one day I will get lucky and find a CCKW on Vancouver Island that I can restore....

Mike
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

I must agree it is a great book. I also picked one up at the convention.
Who knows, maybe it will spur me on to work on the cckw I have in my long list of awaiting projects.
I also picked up the dukw book but haven't opened it yet.
George
MikeKB
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 WC51

Post by MikeKB »

George,

Maybe if you get tired of your CCKW project, you might want to sell it and give it a new home here in British Columbia :wink:

Mike
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Mike:
Thats a very real possibility.
I actually have 2 of them. One runs and moves but no brakes of course. It is a winch model and has had another winch added behind the cab and was made into a boom truck. For some reason they cut the back 6 inches or so off the frame.
The other is a mostly complete early closed cab that is extremely rusty but has a nice winch frame.
Both trucks have titles that I have not gotten around to transfering yet.
I have a third that is a busted pile but has a potentially savable open cab on it. I'm definately saving the hood off of it because under the last layer of paint is orange and "washington state penitentiary" on it.
A package deal could be made if you could stomach the hauling costs.
If you are interested let me know and I can email you some pics.
George
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Still both amazed and excited over "THE GMC TRUCK IN US SERVICE" after two months. This book is a time machine that lets me visit old friends back when they were young.
There are enough clear photos of U.S.A. Registrations that come close to or are just either side of ones' truck that will give most owners a chance to note what their truck may have appeared like when brand new. There are plenty of 1941-42 photos of CCKW's that are just a few USA numbers away from my own SWB CCKW U.S.A. W-454317.
I have had a lot of feedback from restoration shops and long time CCKW restorer/owners and not one has a negative comment about THE "GMC TRUCK IN US SERVICE".
Zack Magnusson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1941 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam MBT
1944 WC-51
1942 Chevrolet G506, Ben Hur Cargo, Ben Hur Water, M10 ammo trailer
1944 Harley Davidson WLA

Post by Zack Magnusson »

Got the book last week along with the DUKW book. Both really nice works.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Am still excited about the book, there is much more to the CCKW than just an O.D. painted WWII truck, the book explains all that in detail.