GMC transmission model#

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

GMC transmission model#

Post by Dozerman51 »

What model number was the Warner 5 speed OD transmission installed in the CCKW? I'm guessing it was a non-synchro box right?
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: GMC transmission model#

Post by motto »

Definitely non synchro Joe. I believe they were in fact a Clark although they were also manufactured by other companies such as Muncie and Warner but possibly that was for other truck builders. The Studebaker US-6 used essentially the same transmission with a different input shaft.

The GM number is GM-2140096 The other number given is probably the maker's and that is CE-204VO-273. I think that the CE part of that number may stand for Clark Equipment.

These gear boxes had no provision to drive a speedometer. That was driven off the transfer case.

David
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Thanks for the Info David. I have the book "The GMC A Universal Truck" an English language translation by Motorbooks International of the original French publication of 1978. They list the truck as having a Warner 5-speed. Guess like alot of other stuff manufactured in the USA, other companies helped produce an item to the specs of the OEM. Too bad I couldn't put one of these trannies in my WC-12! :lol:
Cheer,
Joe Giraud
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Hi Joe,

Just cross referenced the CE-204VO-273 number given in SNL G-508 and it definitely comes up as being Clark.

Reference used was MoToRs Truck Repair Manual, second edition.

Cheers David
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

David,
Those old manuals sure come in handy don't they. Thanks for doing the research.
:thumbup:
Joe
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

CLARK 204 VO, and it shared most parts with the Warner T-93 in the Studebaker 6X6. Main difference in the Studebaker is the different Main Drive Gear.
I have an NOS T-93 Transmission Cover in my CCKW.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

That brings us to another difference between the CCKW and US6 boxes. The lever on the CCKW is longer and bent back severely, whereas the US6 lever has only a slight rearwards rake from low down. They don't slog out the anti-rotation key like the Jimmy does which is probably the reason for the cover replacement mentioned above.

David
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Another transmission note - if your shift lever has a length extension piece at the top it has been borrowed from a DUKW, where the seating is slightly different and the extension is needed for the extra reach. Unfortunately when you put it in fifth you can also bang your hand on the day, tho'
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The CCKW Covers with Lever are the same as the NOS WARNER T-93 Covers with Lever I have and appear to have the same lever configuration as in the CCKW TM's.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

Unless there were two different levers used in the US-6 and I doubt that was so, the Warner top covers you have Joel were not destined for use on Studebaker trucks. Perhaps Mr Clark was having a hard time filling demand and Warner stepped in to fill the gap and keep the CCKW line going.

If you go to the 'Army Trucks" section on this forum and look at the 'Friend Got Studebaker' thread you can see the gear lever in photos on pages 1 and 2. I doubt a CCKW lever would work as it would come down on the seat in a couple of gears.

You're right about the DUKW gear lever Gordon. I believe that the duck inherited some components from the AFKWX cab over truck and always wondered if that was one of them.

David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

When I get a minute I will compare the part numbers of the Shifting Cane between G-630 and G-508 and cross reference the ORD Part Numbers in the interchanges between the T-93 and 204 VO as used by these two vehicles.