RANGERS MOTORPOOL

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

RANGERS MOTORPOOL

Post by RANGER »

Ranger maintains one of the few collections of Military Vehicles that is maintained to strict US Army Specification, GAA is the Chassis Grease used, replacement parts are OEM and the TMs, LOs, TBs and MWOs are followed. None of the vehicles have had to be boosted, or towed home due to breakdown, in in the 46 year history of the collection. General Chuck Yeager once commented that my MB gas guage even works.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My SWB CCKW has 100% DELCO REMY NOS components including the early DELCO Voltage Regulator with the two thumbscrews, the battery is a current DELCO Group 717A Group 4 truck battery.All lights are Guide including NOS Guide metal backed WWII Sealed Beams with the dull look because of the use of wartime substitute reflective material. Gages are all AC with the flush bezel.
The open cab will be excess to me and will be offered for sale at some time in the future as removed complete less the instruments which will be installed in the Closed Cab. The cab is a beauty and will make someone happy as they will not have to repair anything.

OPEN CAB HAS BEEN SOLD TO A GOOD HOME :thumbup:
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What is fun is trying to make up my mind which truck to take for a drive.
Jeeps are more fun in the morning, CCKW is more fun to park out by Hanger 1 of the former Dow Army Air Field and daydream of the B-17s , B-29s, P-38s P-51s, F-80s that I saw parked there 60 years ago while watching F-15, F-16s, Jaguars, Mirages, C-17s, KC-135s and EC 135s come and go. What is neat is that all this is less than 5 miles away. I have been recovering 1941 dated nails that the Maine Central RR stuck onto the middle of the ties of the railroad track that passed thru Dow AFB. They have been witness to so much history.

I have a few extra.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If there could be one more vehicle in my fleet, it would be from the G-200 family of tracked vehicles, which is the M-24 Chaffee light tank powered by twin Cadillac V-8 engines. I trained on the M-19 SP Twin 40MM Gun Carriage version (similar to Duster version of the M-41 Walker Bulldog Tank). I attempted to purchase one for several years starting in the 60s and 70s, but the owner was elusive. It would have been fun. Maintaining a tracked vehicle requires a well equipped shop with overhead crane welding and machine shop capability, and plenty of fancy heavy duty tools. Deep pockets are also in order. Nothing sounds better than two synchronized well tuned Cadillac V-8 engines. The M-24 was one of the first modern looking Tanks, and had torsion Bar Suspension. Parts for the M-24 and M-19 are not waiting in every warehouse, I remember assisting NAPCO in locating M-24 torsion bars for the Itallian Army back in the late 80s.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If I were younger, I would love to build one of those wood plank maintenance ramps to service my CCKW and Jeeps on. All WWII GI Bases had them, they sort of disappeared since the Nam years.
The permanent WWII Shops had Service Pits (grease pits)which are considered dangerous now. It would sure be nice to be able to walk under an MV to service it.

Ranger, Maine's most experienced MV Expert.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I love it when I encounter early WWII stateside photos of GIs in Coveralls servicing CCKWs. I can smell the grease when I view those photos. The photos are good reference to the features of 41-42 CCKWs, W- prefixes to 4" USA registration, some USA's are white, some Blue Drab, early tires, 1574 Cabs, few pioneer racks, some still have spare tire locks.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: RANGERS MOTORPOOL

Post by RANGER »

My favorite WWII photo is a color photo of a Negro Army mechanic working on an early CCKW, it was taken at Ft Knox in 1942. It is sold on ebay and is just a few numbers short of the USA on my CCKW. He looks like he knows what he was doing.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Only Genuine DELCO allowed on my CCKW Electrical system, AC for Instruments, Guide for Lights, and GM original WWII replacement parts for all others.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A no nonsense operation with half a dozen "turn key" trucks maintained to strict U.S Army standard per the TM which is a very simple task once military lingo and nomenclature is mastered. The motto of the Motor Sergeant in charge is "Don't fart around-just do it".
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

RANGERS Motorpool is going into winter storage shortly.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

EVERY DAY IS CCKW DAY :thumbup:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

MBT 1/4 Ton Trailers look nice behind a CCKW.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

All of my WWII vehicles including the MBT trailer are registered as GI JOE.
The vernal equinox will soon declare "tis spring" and the small MV fleet at the RANGER Motorpool will be serviced and awaiting participation in special events requested of it. Hopefully it will be called upon to commemorate the 68th anniversary of Bill Knights arrival at Dow Field during June 1941 in a CCKW driven from Ft Lee Virginia. Bill spent 66 months on Active duty from 1940-1945 in the Quartermaster Corps.
Having more than one restored MV to drive is great, not all get driven some years. Funny thing, there are two beautifully restored trailers parked inside, the Ben Hur has been out probably three times in the 20 I have owned it, and the MBT has made one trip to Dow Field in the 5 years since it was restored. The CCKW is the truck of choice.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The RANGER cell phone plays "Reveille", it makes my CCKW stand up straighter.

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

No vehicles are dispatched for the purpose of a trail ride, they are for official use only.