GETTING THE MOST LIFE OUT OF YOUR CCKW

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

GETTING THE MOST LIFE OUT OF YOUR CCKW

Post by RANGER »

Do as Uncle Sam does and follow the TM. The TM is divided into sections of Operator Maintenance, and scheduled maintenance for everything in between the bumpers. The TM is designed to focus attention to wear and tear as the components are being lubricated or adjusted. If this is not followed, it will result in a high mileage rattletrap that is in the habit of requiring immediate attention during use, resulting in cancelled events. Hard work pays off. It only takes about 50 hours a year to properly care for your truck once it is in shape. I have not had to be towed back to my shop once in over 250,000 MV miles while in the Army or civilian life. I once serviced an M-38A1 at Ft Dix in that had 60,000 miles and it looked and handled as new.
Good maintenance pays off, the following is not a CCKW story, but the events would not be possible had the TM not been followed.
Back in the 60s when I was single, I used to drive my M-38A1 constantly, and averaged 3 trips a year in it to Ft Devens to bid on surplus Jeeps. It was exactly 250 miles to the gate at Ft Devens via I-95 and I-495. I would cover that distance in exactly 5 hours with stops only for tolls. It was great in the summer as I would remove the top on the way back and enjoy the sun. The M-38A1 could attain 22 MPG at times but normally averaged 16 MPG. The days before 495 were very scenic, I remember passing by the home of Poet Robert Frost in Massachusetts. Sometmes there would be a sign over the doe to the Disposal Office announcing "We Have Footlockers Today", at $2.00 each. The yard was managed by gentlemen by the name of Dufresne and Frazee. There was a very friendly gentleman out in the yard that made sure you were happy when left the salvage yard with your latest purchase. He used to be a prize fighter in the thirties and fought the gentleman that owned the neighborhood Gas Station where I hung out.
By the 60s WWII vehicles for sale at Ft Devens were a rare item. The last I remember were a CCW Garbage Packer, several Halftracks, M-19 Twin 40MM AA Gun Carriages, and a DUKW or two in 1961. They were part of the training motorpool at Camp Wellfleet down at the Cape. Speaking of Wellfleet, does anyone remember Rookies Pizza on Rt. 6? I had my first Pizza there nearly 50 years ago.

Being Honor Graduate at Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School has paid off. I got the highest score on record in the 20 year history of the school back in 1960.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it