WC Regulator

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC Regulator

Post by Jim M »

The next major item on my "to fix list" is the wiring for the WC. Have found a complete wiring harness from Vintage, for around $500.
Where is a good place to look for a regulator? What I have seen so far all are priced around $250 or more.
Is this a fair price or can I do better somewhere that I do not know of yet :wink:

Thanks to all.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

If it,s NOS .It all depends whether it is 6 or 12 volts as there are a lot more 6 volts around than 12, so 12 volt would be more expensive than 6. 6 volts were used on most jeeps .so they seem to be more plentiful .Keep looking on Ebay they sometimes come up there on the GPW ,jeep ww2 site listings .Ray
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Regulator

Post by JBizal »

I have NOS 6V ones in stock, $185.
http://www.midwestmil.com
John
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

sounds a little stiff for a 3/4 ton did you compare vintages price
with vintage wiring of main?
make sure you relize that all the electric doodas need to be one way or the other.
starter
generator
voltage regulator
light bulbs.
all need to match the voltage.
red tag is 6 volt
green tag is 12 volt
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC Regulator

Post by Jim M »

The Dodge WC, 1942, that I have is a 12 volt system.
Can you change the guts from a 6 volt to a 12 volt if you have the body?
Silly questions I know, but I have no idea :oops:

Jim M
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

I think all the holes line up.
accept for maybe the generator brackett.
that would be pricy, to change out all the stuff. I'd hold out for a nos
12v. or get one rebuilt.
the biggest problem with 6volt is that, your never going to get a jump from
someone if your battery dies.
the reason the 12v. is so pricy is that its so popular.
accept whith us evil puritans.
if your truck was rigged for radio i'd leav it that way.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

I did it...

Post by Ken J »

I converted to 12 volts (gasp!) for the very reason mentioned: 6 volts = no jump start.

I used a regulator from a guy who's name I forget (from over a year ago-sorry!), and I bought a 12 volt generator from a Desoto car that looks and bolts up exactly the same as the 6 volt model, except for the green tag. I also changed the ground to today's negative polarity as the regulator was connected that way- but when I ran the 12 volt generator, it almost burned up the regulator because it was wired for positive ground.

I disassembled the generator, crimped-on longer field leads, and connected the fields reverse of what they were. I tested the generator with all the leads disconnected, the engine idling, and applied a jumper between the positive post of the starter and the field connection, and got 19 volts positive at the armature (output), so the generator then matched the regulator's polarity. I then was able to connect all the wires and adjust the regulator output voltage to about 13.5 volts. It seems to hold steady over a wide range of RPM's. but I find that on initial engine start-up the generator does not put out until the engine is brought up off of idle speed. After that it works fine.

Note #1: One of the field leads has a ring-tongue terminal, but the other is crimped to the field wire post (which sticks through the generator case); I broke-off the wire at the post, ground it flat, and then drilled and tapped it for a #6 screw. Now both field leads have ring-tongue terminals which will facilitate reversing the polarity back if need be.

Note #2: The Desoto pulley was for the standard-width fan belt, and would not accommodate the wider military belt, so I had to swap the generator pulley.

Note #3: You will probably need to extract the fields to change the wiring. I found it very easy to break the counter-sunk screws loose by heating them up dark orange with an oxy-acetylene torch and then using the biggest screwdriver I had with an adjustable wrench on the screwdriver shaft.

Note #4: I used the 6 volt starter and have not yet burned it up.

Note #5: Starters are not affected by system polarity- they work negative or positive ground (I tried it both ways on a loose battery).

You will also need to consider the fuel sender and guage, which is a voltage-sensitive circuit.

Lastly, if you change the polarity of the system, the connections on the amp guage will need to be swapped. If you keep it positive ground for some reason, don't forget this if you are involved in jump-starting.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yes, Genny and disiels all share the initisal voltage trick. It just needs a bit more revs to kick the regulator or alternator charge switch in. As long as it does kick in with revs it should stay in. The simple answer is get used to it. :lol: As for wiring have you thought of using modern cable covered with a black tape shroud? It gives the advantage of modern cable, you know it's new, and looks authentic. cost in UK is less than a ready made, and the harness is so simple anyway. The other beauty is in fault repair you have a colour code.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Jim:

In answer to your question (Can I change the guts?), YES, it can be done. If ya don't posess the skills yourself to do the job, then all ya need is $$$$. Find a starter rebuilder in your area, and ask if he can do it, AND, how much. ANYTHING can be done as long as ya got the cash.

Back in the day when I worked, I used to plow snow. I had a dual battery set up, but the stock alt couldn't crank enough juice. To get the largest alt from the steal, er dealer for my truck (which also didn't have enough juice) would not only cost an arm and a leg, but also my 1st born (and options on my 2nd born).

I found a rebuild shop, and was given the choice of amperage that I wanted. From that point on, I was a believer. Something to consider though, and that's an extra fuse block. You can get a decent large one from JC Whitney's for about $20.00 USD, they're sealed, and you can hide it anywhere.

Good Luck

PS: Remember them stars?
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC Regulator

Post by Jim M »

Have found a damaged, dirty regulator and hope to buy it. Plans are then to rebuild and repaint.
Keeping fingers crossed :?

Jim M
1958 M274
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by 1958 M274 »

Hey Jim,
If your current regulator deal falls through I have one for you...
Thanks,
Joe
1942 Dodge WC-51 (from Norway)
Other M-Series Vehicles
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC Regulator

Post by Jim M »

I would like to take this opportunity to "Thank" the members of this forum in my quest for a regulator for my WC 51.
As usual, one of its members have come to my rescue and offered me a deal that I could not pass up :D
So thank you all for helping me in my quest!

Jim M