Early temp gauge

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
scott W.
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Early temp gauge

Post by scott W. »

Hey guys where does one get a square temp gauge?I've been looking and have no Idea, any help?
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

late temp gauge!

Post by migmatic »

Heck! For that matter, where do you get a round temp gauge.

The face on mine is almost gone,...and of course, the bulb snapped off the tube. Who does a good rebuild? Anyone ever successfully repair one?
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I think its possible to repair a tempreature gauge. I belive the process involves the sacrifice of three virgins, dance naked at midnight round an oak tree and various weird chants. :? There is a link somewhere on the site to a gauge repair site.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Call John Bizel at Midwest Military abd ge will sale you a new one. He has reproductions and some NOS
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

Tony, That's the kind of "repair job" I could go for! But only if there are pre-sacrificial rites that might be required to be performed on the three virgins,...Oh my word! I hope these are the female type virgins your talking about??? And as for my nakedness around a tree, Oh that's a picture you want to skip!
I check out the link and John also.
Thanks
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Mig, I really must check what sort of mushrooms I'm eating :? The biggest problem with repairing gauges is the soft solder. I've used the plumbers lead type but it still needs the metal so hot that it is inclined to melt. The electrical soft is useless, dosen't get hot enough. I really have no idea where to get the right stuff. Most places just look at you blankly :evil: Have you an instrument shop near you, if you have a local airfield they should know of a proper instrument technician.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

Tony I found that link. (Leads to a plymouth 1933 site), I just need a donor gauge. I got to give this a try!Doesn't look to difficult. I agree that the soldiering thing could be a b***h if it gets to hot. I think it's the ratio of Tin in the solder that gives it a bit more "guts", I like the airfield idea I'll have to go talk to them.

The problem for me is my gauge face sucks. It looks like it's been through the wars or something,...hey, it probably was.
Anyway, anyone you know does a good silkscreen or print job for a gauge face.
Failing that I'll just have to paint "Too Cold" at one end and "Too Hot" at the other :) .
Rick
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Rick »

I repaired my temp gauge see link below. I followed the instruction and was able to repair the gauge in about 1 hour. I had a friend who had some nos gauges (no sure what kind of vehicle they where from)I bought it for $20 . The only thing I did different was I froze the bulb in a jar of water overnite before I cut the tube.I bought a piece of brass tubing for the splice and soldier it on the old gauge 1st I made it about 3 inches long and was careful not to get soldier in the tube I then cut the replacement tude and soldier it. When I was done Icheck it out with a tempature in hot water and was about 5 degrees off. I clean the glass and and painted it white and scrape off the paint leaving the letters and numbers.

Rick

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/for ... to=newpost
Rick
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Rick »

Sorry Guys try this link http://www.ply33.com/Repair/TempGauge.html

Rick
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

Yo!! Rick ,...That's the one!,...It looks do-able. If I can fix myself up with a gauge and face,... I'm there :D .
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Early Temp Gauge

Post by Phil P »

For those brave enough to tackle repairing or modding a temp gauge there are low temp solders available. The company that makes them is Carrs. They are used mostly in railway modelling for soldering white metal and puter castings. There are various types and temp ranges.
70, 145,188.224,&243 degrees. They are available from Dave Cleal, MAINLY TRAINS in Watchet Somerset in the UK. He does export so no probs there. Online ordering through his web site which is.
http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk also there is the possibility of a high bond strength adhesive. Devcon 531 is amazing stuff though not cheap it will permanently bond stainless steel together! Temp is not a problem up to 90/100 degrees C. If the head of the temp gauge reaches that then perhaps you should exit the vehicle. You could try Carrs direct but they may only sell direct by the mile or ton. In the UK lead solders are going to be if not already banned, though apparently not for electrical use hmmm. I suppose they must think that if you are putting an electrical item in your mouth that has lead based solder on it ,it hardly matters as you must want too die anyway. Just a thought.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'