poor spark

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
c.e.culverhouse
Corporal
Corporal

poor spark

Post by c.e.culverhouse »

hi i'm new to this forum but hope someone can help.

last season i fitted a jolley engineering elec ignition and hi-power coil to my (6v) wc 63. since doing this there has been poor to intermittent sparking and after laying the car up for the winter am unable to start it at all.
I sent his first coil back & purchased another at a reduced rate but this had only some noticable improvement.
The plug gaps are set at 40thou as i believe this is necessary with this type of ignition.

Best wishes, Conrad.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Conrad, welcome to the mad house. I was talking to Phil P on the phone the other night he told me of similar problems he had that traced down to dirty connections on the ignition switch. I don't doubt that he will post the full tale himself. The principal is the same though, check and clean all your electrical connections, including the rotor arm and dizzy cap. :wink:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
c.e.culverhouse
Corporal
Corporal

thanks for your prompt reply, Tony. I was thinking of calling in an autoelectrics firm to help me with this.
Do you think it would be wise to buy some replacement parts first such as dizzy cap,rotor arm etc?
Are these available in new/unused condition?
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Funny you should ask that :idea: I have just rung Steve Rivers at Dallas Autos telephone 01635 201124. He has all the parts you want and advice. I bought my Dodge WC51 off him 6 years ago now. The only thing he told me that didn't work out was "You will take her into a show ring and win a prize", actually I took her to her first show and won two prizes :lol: He is sending me new dizzy cap 6 plugs rotor arm and fan belt, about £50 with P&P. It would be worth changing the dizzy cap these can't be checked by eye. Plugs, the Haynes manuals have pictures of plugs that have suffered various grief, basically if your plugs are uniform black with no arc or pits they are OK. The trouble when they do stand is rust,. The only time mine has ever stopped was a loose ignition wire on the switch. I cleaned everything up, it's suprising the amount of muck that can collect. A light smear of silicon grease or vaseline works wonders. Get a volt meter and check out all the circuit from battery through to coil and make sure you are getting 6 volt. Any less and there will be the coil problem. Hope this helps. PS Phil reckons 50 thou on the plugs as his was set up Crypto tune I've set my old ones at that and she runs fine. Have you got a spark gap to fit on the top on the plug? A couple of quid from a car accesory place well spent. Pop on to plug clip lead on top, hey presto no more belts from the lead and the engine runs while you check.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Conrad, see engine trouble link, Phil has put the coil info on that.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Poor spark.

Post by Phil P »

Hi Conrad.
Tony B was spot on yes I did do a posting or rather have just done a posting on the low voltage /poor spark but on the Engine problems heading page 3. Wow I've made page 3! The trouble is with anything under the dash on a Dodge you almost have to be either eighteen inches tall all or be so supple particularly in the spine you would make a fortune in a circus. They end up in a horrible mess under there somewhat akin to an explosion in a barbed wire factory. Remember a few hours under there cleaning contacts and terminals is far cheaper than replacing everything, if you don't include the cost of the private physiotherapist you will need after!
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

WANTED DODGE MECHANIC. Preference given to ambedixterous Octupus. I had to be rescued from own gear stick last night after tidying up some electrics under the dash, bloody embarasing :oops:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Um Tony:

Then why did ya have a big smile on your face AFTER? :twisted: Come to think of it, I DID hear a big yell yesterday, but I thought it was the wind. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
c.e.culverhouse
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks for all your comments.
must check out page 3 :shock:
My spark plugs are quite rusty around the base where rainwater has collected on the head. Could this affect the spark?
I think some new plugs,rotor,dizzy cap & a good clean up in the exploded barbed wire factory must be the answer!
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I'll tell ya Ugg, I got to get to the gym :roll: The belly is getting dangerous. No help mind you when your "Rescuers" are falling about laughing.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

c.e.culverhouse wrote:Thanks for all your comments.
must check out page 3 :shock:
My spark plugs are quite rusty around the base where rainwater has collected on the head. Could this affect the spark?
I think some new plugs,rotor,dizzy cap & a good clean up in the exploded barbed wire factory must be the answer!
The plugs on mine have the same problem. Doesn't seem to hurt them much though. Anyone any ideas on how to prevent this though :?:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Tony:
Tony B wrote:I'll tell ya Ugg, I got to get to the gym :roll: The belly is getting dangerous. No help mind you when your "Rescuers" are falling about laughing.
Fortunately, I can still see my toe's when I stand, but injuries/mishaps are no stranger to me, so I can really relate to your woe about them laughin. We taught Maynard how to count by counting my scars. He'd quit at 100 from frustration. We tried the same tact with my daughter, but she's such a little sweetheart that she wanted to kiss each one 1st, to make em better, which meant it would take forever. :lol:

Tony B wrote: The plugs on mine have the same problem. Doesn't seem to hurt them much though. Anyone any ideas on how to prevent this though :?:
Back in the "OLD" days, I used a silicon spray that was made especially for waterproofin your electrical system when ya go Off Roadin. I don't know if they still make that stuff, but ya might want to check around as it'd help.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The trick used on Land Rovers is the old rubber household glove called a Marigold. Mind you with a six pot it'd be a weird hand :twisted: You can still get a stuff called Damp Start over here which sprays a clear sheild. One idiot of my passing aquintence got the engine soaked to the point it cut out, THEN sparayed the waterproof coating over the top of the wet Dizzy, "Do you know that stuff is rubbish? My engine just will not start :!: " Being nasty that day we left him to it.