Oily sludge in rad

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Phil, calm down :!: :!: You own 4x4s just accept you are a curse on humanity who should be boiled alive and treated to unimaginable torture :x How do you dare appear in the street :evil: By the way for the rest of the world, that counts as the to and fro free discussion of British Democracy. Oh I shoot and hunt as well. Don't even bother to try for free speech. :roll:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Phil:

Maybe we should start a new thread on "BS POLITICIANS". :twisted: Thomas Jefferson once said (oh, and I know you guys in the UK kinda look down on him :lol: ) that we in the US should have a revolution every 20 years to clean out the corrupt politicians that get into office. There's debate on weather he meant the same type revolution as our original one or something else. :?

Back in the 60's, to say that I was part of the radical left would have been an understatement. :twisted: We had a draft (conscription) back then, and when it was my turn (for the lotto they used to select), I was quite ready to leave and move to Canada. I actually had my bags packed.

As it turned out, my # was way up there with no chance of bein drafted. 6 months later, I freaked all of my friends (and myself) out by enlisting. :shock: During that time I lived on 3 different continents and got to see 1st hand different cultures.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not doin a turnabout, but at this point in time, we're still able to rant about our BS politicians and not have someone come knocking (or kicking) on our doors at 3AM. There's still plenty of other country's around where ya can't do this. Right Phil? Right Ray? Right Tony? Phil? Ray? Tony? Are you guys still there? Guys! Guys! :shock: Uh Oh, I better go and hide. :o :cry: :shock: :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I like the idea Terry Pratchett has in one of Discworld books "We'er off to see the Prime Minister in prision". "Why is he in prision?" "Oh we put all our politicians in jail as soon as their elected, it saves time later" Fortunatley our Dodges in UK are Road Tax exempt. the clown of a chancellor who is bankrupting us all agin today is putting road Tax on 4 x 4 up to £400 $757 it's not as if the roads improve you need a bloody 4x4 to get to the shops round here. On the D odge front I have got the electronic points on the way. :evil:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
old57XLA
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 56 42 WLA 57XLA

Exhaust gas detector info

Post by old57XLA »

I copied the following text from another forum. The kit is the same kit I used. H.

"You can use a "Block Tester" to chemically determine whether there is exhaust gas in your coolant. These "Block Testers" are sold by NAPA stores for approximately $45.00. The quote I got from my local NAPA dealer was $45.99. He didn't have it in stock, but said he could have it the next day. The relevant NAPA catalog is called "The PSA 2000 catalog" or the "Balkamp Catalog". The catalog calls the Block Tester a "combustion leak tester kit", so that's probably what you should ask for. From what I understand, it comes with a ball, tubes, test fluid, aspirator bulb and engine adapter (cone shaped device you place in your radiator filler cap). If there's exhaust in your coolant the test fluid changes color.

I've heard from several mechanics who sniff the radiator filler pipe with their emissions probe. If you sniff the radiator filler cap with smog equipment, do it after the engine has warmed up (so warm it up with the cap off), and BE SURE not to let the sniffer contact the coolant, as the coolant will destroy the sniffer according to at least one respondent.

That same respondent said the most sensitive test is the HC (hydrocarbon) test, although a false positive can occur if you've recently flushed your radiator with a petroleum based product. His opinion is that the HC test will reveal the earliest stages of combustion gas transfer, much earlier than the Block Testers will reveal.
I wish I had more time, more space, and more money!
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks for that, I'll go hunting for one..
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Oily Sludge in radiator.

Post by Phil P »

Right I have just got my computor back after it went bosums up trying to load on Norton anti virus and I threw a shoe! Sorry if I upset anybody with my political rantings but I hate being treated as a dims***!
Ok oily radiator. Usually if it is from a cylinder then you should see bubbles in the radiator water. I am not sure where there is an oil feed near the water passages on the Dodge. I always use Wynns products as I have never had a problem with them. Flush out the cooling system and then use a cooling system sealer. The Wynns product is very good. Keep your eye on the coolant to see if the oil reapears. The hardest part is removing the oily sludge. I use loads of 'Jizer' degreaser in the system to get it out. Then back flush the system. Methylated Spirits is an excellant emullsifier as it mixes with oil and water and will clean out the remnants. Are you sure somebody hasn't put oil in the system before you had the vehicle. I have known folks to put oil in the rad to shut up a squeaky water pump. Machine shop 'suds oil' will stop a squeaky water pump as it is water soluble. Old garage trick.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Whewwwwwww, I was gettin worried about you Phil. Thought they came and got ya. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Mally
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Mally »

Thats a new one to me someone puting oil in the cooling system.
I guess i will never no.
I will flush the system out this weekend and see what happens,if
oil returns i will flush again and put a sealer in the system and hope
for the best, thanks Phil.

By theway great political rant, i think all politicianns are a shower of
S--T.

Cheers
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

That's the beauty of this forum, you learn something every day. I didn't know the machine oil trick. One thing about the Dodge and and the old Land Rovers, the capacity of the cooling system is such that you can play tricks. I was also told break a couple of eggs into the system as an emergrncy leack stop. It actually works.
Mally
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Mally »

Yes you are right about the egg method, i did that one in my old land rover years ago( stinks like hell) the AA man thst came out to me later
was realy imprest NOT.

Realy sorry to here about your friend also, it souds like your giving him
a good send off, i hope it goes well.

Mal
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Mally, the coffin is going on a RL, George's favourite, the Dodge is going at the families invitation, a real honour, and some others it will be a good send off.
Mally
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Mally »

Hi Tony
Flushed the system out like you suggested and went on a long run.
The old girl went well, shes a powerfull old truck i was real surprised
this was my first real drive in a dodge.
Still a small trace of oil i will flush her out again.
Is it possible there might be a small hole betwin the water way and
the oil gallery ( the oil in the sump is clean).

Mal
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Good job, Mally :!: If the system was that dirty a second flush wont do any harm, stick a can of stop leack or something in. it may be that the black in the oil is from the inside of a pipe. How At least you've got ready when the weather should be improving. :roll: