lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1942 US6 Studebaker Phantom
1945 US6 Studebaker Spirits

Re: Friend got a Studebaker

Post by lowrdrbird »

Thought i would give a quick update...

I have replaced the brake lines with stainless steel and we also finished the engine. Today we put the heart back into the stude.

Will post some pics when I can

Ken
1942 Studebaker US6 Phantom
1945 Studebaker US6 Spirit
1942 1 ton Trailer
Keeping the History Alive
Teaching the public what our veterans did during WW2
If you can read this, Thank a teacher
If you are reading this in English, Thank a Vet
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well here are the photos that i promised

Transfer case and installed it back onto the frame.

Also started painting the transfer case

Also the pedals installed and painted

Then I mounted the front bumper extensions

Then just for giggles I mounted (but they are not bolted on just holding them in) the bumper and tow hooks

front axle is done. All the new lines

Here is the rear passenger side all lined up

Got the stainless steel brakes lines and here are some pics will have more to follow but had to get out early on it.

Here is the front axle just got the flex lines

This is after we set her in the frame so now the Stude has a heart. Hope to have it running in 2 weeks

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well its been a while since I posted on her here so here are some videos of today and what a great day it was..... 30 Minutes running and constant 40 Psi oil pressure.
Just click on the pic

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

its alive! how long till on the road? I didnt know they ran Hercules engines. Thougth stude had their own.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Good work, moving forward - more than I've had a chance to do.

I'll defer to those with more experience, but I've always been told that the reason that the GMC won out over the Studebaker was primarily the engine. Apparently Uncle Sam thought that the overhead valve 270 in the GMC just had more grunt than the flathead in the Studebaker, hence Studebaker being 'Limited Standard'

I've only seen a couple of Studebaker trucks here in the UK, but I've owned four Weasels
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Gordon_M wrote:Good work, moving forward - more than I've had a chance to do.

I'll defer to those with more experience, but I've always been told that the reason that the GMC won out over the Studebaker was primarily the engine. Apparently Uncle Sam thought that the overhead valve 270 in the GMC just had more grunt than the flathead in the Studebaker, hence Studebaker being 'Limited Standard'

I've only seen a couple of Studebaker trucks here in the UK, but I've owned four Weasels
I might argue that is came down to manufacturing capacity. GM was the biggest and most capable by then. I thinkthe Dodges and Studes that size are better trucks in some ways. the GM steering parts are wimpy and the HP ratings are lower than the flatheads
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Also if you ask anyone who has driven both the Stude and the CCKW the guys like the drive of the studes.
From what I have been told you are correct that the Studebaker company didnt have the capacity to roll out the trucks they even had to ask Reo to help build the US6s

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Friend got a Studebaker Engine is now Running

Post by lowrdrbird »

Took the studebaker out of the barn today and had her running for almost an hour here is a quick run of her running

http://youtu.be/JsOAbrGKorw

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

All Studebaker and Reo 2-1/2 ton 6x6s were powered by Hercules JXD 320 cu in engines. The same engine as used in the White M3A1 Scout Car and Ford Greyhound Armoured Cars also Sperry Searchlight Generators among other applications.

These were not a bad engine having a seven bearing crankshaft but had a couple of peculiarities by todays standards. The water pump was gear driven and in turn drove the distributor. The oil pump relief valve pressure is adjustable through an access plug in the side of the sump. All main and big end bearings are of the shell type but they are all adjusted for clearance with shimming.

In comparison with the GMC CCKW with its 270 cu in overhead valve engine the JXD engine was primitive and though 50 cu in larger didn't really perform any better. I've not forgotten having an identically loaded CCKW overtake me on a hill and continue to pull away from my US6 (we were both carrying Ford GPA Amphibians). The 270 is a more lively engine and produces its max torque at different revs. On a different incline I may have overtaken him.

The CCKW brakes are better using a hydrovac booster whereas the Stude has the more primitive vacuum servo setup and steering wise the Saginaw recirculating ball unit used in the CCKW in my opinion leaves the US6s primitive Ross cam and lever steering box in the weeds.

My 2 cents worth.

David
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

I am very excited today ....
She moved under her own power today. We still have to get the clutch working right. It does not want to fully disengage cant figure out whats wrong with it.

Enjoy I know I did......

http://youtu.be/9kzLDr_vvoo

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Hi Ken

Did you get the clutch problem sorted out? The Lipe Rollway pressure plate is another strange device and needs to be set up correctly as per the manual. Even then I've had problems getting them to work properly in the US6. This was to do with running out of pedal adjustment. Eventually I replaced the coupling sleeve on the throw out shaft (The short little tube with the crossed bolts) with one that I made myself. The one I made up had the bolts at a different angular displacement so as to get the lever that the adjusting rod pulls around into a more favourable range.

David
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

I might have to do that as I have it ran out as much as I can. I know it works as I can take a wrench on the opposite side and make the clutch engage. But I cannot get it to do it with the pedal. That might be my next trick
Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well a little of an update for you guys
here are the pics they say it better than words

now she has the cab mounted and it looks great..

some shots of inside the cab

Well went out and worked a little on her today.. Got the cab wiring in and started the connections. Went really smooth and looks to be done on Sunday. I hope to have the instruments in it also by then. She is really coming together and its going fast. Also installed a new rubber gasket for the cab air intake. Ran the engine a little bit to see how the gas pedal would work only small problem with it is when flooring the gas she has a little hesitation but then picks it up any ideas guys???
Well here are some of todays photos

All the wiring is original NOS that i have found. We found out the my truck did not come with the driving black out light (big one) but was later added on so we are doing the same thing and running a wire up to the light as a later motor pool upgrade.

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

The Carter BBR-1 carburettor has a mechanically operated accelerator pump and you can check pump operation by looking down the throat of the carburetor and operating the throttle with a full float chamber. You should get a squirt of fuel each time the throttle is opened.The pump has Summer and Winter settings which translates into which hole in the arm you locate the link rod. Your problem could be as simple as that or it could be even simpler, maybe the engine never reached full operating temperature.

Does using a little choke reduce or eliminate the problem? This gives another clue as to the cause.If choke helps then probably the squirt is not fast enough (restricted) or insufficient (stroke, valve or piston problem).

David
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Motto
Does this pic show the holes in the link??? We have it set up the same way once the carb was rebuilt.
Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer