Lost Volts

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Lost Volts

Post by Phil P »

Thank Gawd the site is running yet again.
I have had a strange fault on my 51. The head lights were dim at idle and then became very bright when the revs were increased. I know there is an increase in brightness when the dynamo kicks in but this was a very very big increase. The engine cranked over without a problem the battery voltage was ok. the control box output 14.4/ 14.7 volts with the cut out operating but at idle there was only 10.2 volts at the coil. After much checking of the system the problem was traced to the radio suppressor block. 13.7 one side 10.2 on the other. It was removed given a thorough clean up. All the out put cables replaced (again) including stripping and overhauling the light switch and shazzam! problem sorted. No wonder the coil kept getting so hot it was struggling with what it could get.
I know we normally ask for help on this site but I thought perhaps when we have a problem and sort it then telling others who could have the same fault might be of use. The futures bright, and the lights now.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Be thankful we can fix them Phil. I was talking to an Audi owner who had a blown headlight. The owners manual recommendation: To change bulb, take to main dealear :twisted:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Phil:

Check your voltage regulator too.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

Lost Volts

Post by Phil P »

Hi Ugg.
Sorry not to reply earlier but I have been travelling round visiting customers sites trying to resolve their problems (or buying time!) Yes I have checked out the regulator or rather my friend the "sparky" has and fully stripped and overhauled it. He even bead blasted the base and repainted the cover in black wrinkle finish paint, looks like new. The cut in speed and voltage is spot on to the TM. Checked with the latest digital meters and an original low voltage test unit as shown in the TM. The lights barely flicker as the reg cuts in and out. The problem was all due to poor connections on the suppressor unit. Behind the dashboard and forgotten. Whilst the sparky was under there he rewired all the lights through relays and seperate fuses. The good ol' lighting switch sees nothing like the original current now. I only have to pay him for his efforts. Fortunatley my friend does appreciate the contents of a bottle from Jim Beams establishment. Sadly so do I!
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

lost volts

Post by Phil P »

Hi Tony.
My daughter has a new Audi A3 and it ain't just the headlights. A stoplight bulb has just failed and it had to go the Audi agent to be replaced because only they stock the special bulbs. They said they had to fit it because the car is under warranty. The bulb was fitted and charged for because it isn't covered by warranty. Vor sprung ripoff tecnic. I love my Chrysler Neon. I can service it myself. Mopar magic.
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Lost Volts

Post by Ugg »

Phil P wrote:Fortunatley my friend does appreciate the contents of a bottle from Jim Beams establishment. Sadly so do I!
Phil:

It seems we have more in common. :lol: My wife's father used to be a whisky drummer, and when we cleared out his house after he passed, I found a case of Mr. Beam that had been sitting in his basement for 35 years. I'm sorry to say it's all gone now, even the bottle of Bonded Beam. I had cracked that open when my son was born, drank about half with some friends toasting my son, and then put the other half on the side with every intention of finishing it off with my son when he came of age. Unfortunately, the cork disolved, turning the contents into a mudlike substance. :cry:

Later

PS: Glad ya got your problem solved.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"