ALCAN CCKW'S 2012

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

ALCAN CCKW'S 2012

Post by RANGER »

Anyone going?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Recon4ww2
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: ALCAN CCKW'S 2012

Post by Recon4ww2 »

Kenny Adams from Covington OH. is going. He will be driving his open cab CCKW from Ohio to the start point and after the convoy he'll drive it back. He has set aside 3 months to do this!

Mike
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

That's quite a haul. lots of PM and logistics, too. A good test of driver and machine.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Recon4ww2
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Recon4ww2 »

Kinda hard on the back and ass, I would think :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Sort of, but after a while one gets conditioned. Dr. Deuce is a good example of a high mileage Jimmy driver. I wish I could have known him before Jimmys. Tractor Supply offers some sort of "Monkey Butt" powder that may help out on those long stretches.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

I didn't get his name but a fellow turned up at the MVPA convention at Dayton last year in a good looking, stock,late model CCKW fairly late in the piece. He was somewhat preoccupied with a generator/regulator problem so didn't get to talk much. He mentioned that he intended taking it on the Alcan run so I would guess it was Ken Adams. I wish him the very best of luck for a good trip.

My buddy and I are both into WW2 Jimmy's and this was the only one we saw at the convention which was a complete surprise as we thought there would be lots of them. Very little in the way of parts either. I've seen vastly more trucks and parts in Europe.

I imagine there is no shortage of these trucks in the U.S. it's just that they don't get out much.

David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It takes a lot of preparation and plenty of spares to prepare a 70 year old CCKW for a trouble free trip.
Recon4ww2
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Recon4ww2 »

David, that was Kenny. He was having some charging issues and I'm not sure he has them sorted out yet.

Mike
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Anyone preparing a trip of that distance for a CCKW should take plenty of NOS spare parts, expecially one of everything fuel, electrical and cooling that installs under the hood.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Been observing some of details of the trip, it will be a test of human and MV endurance and hopefully the vehicles have had all systerms gone thru with nothing left to chance that will lead to a major breakdown.
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tanker »

Recon you are correct, Kenny did complete the trip and had a blast doing it. I think when they got back home the truck had 9750 miles on it. We hacked on him why he didn't just drive around town a few times to reach 10000 miles. I have been a crew member with Kenny on the LST 325 for a number of years and he is a heck of a guy. And if you are in western Ohio I bet you know our buddy Tom. (don't let it out ,but my mv is a wc 51)