French Return CCKW question

Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

French Return CCKW question

Post by Hardbird »

Hello,

Does anyone know what the extra "unlabeled" switch to the left of the instrument cluster on French / ERGMA rebuilt CCKW's is for? This switch is part of the replacement wiring harness that they installed (not something "Bubba" installed that I can tell). The switch is French in origin (writing on the back) and made of bakelite (or something similar). It has three wires connected to it on three separate terminals. It is (was) a push-pull type switch

I would try it to see what it activates, but it is seized with rust and looks to be beyond repair.

The other switches seem to be just like those on normal "late" CCKW's (panel light switch, rotary light switch) and are located below and to the right of the instrument cluster like usual.

Any clues or ideas?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954

1943 Autocar M15A1 / M16A1 Half-track
(converted to the M3 standard)

http://www.mv-restoration.com
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Ron:

If nobody responds, try Kevin over at armycarusa.com, since he deals with a lot of returnee's. Weird, now that RANGER isn't posting anymore, these others with all kinds of knowledge about CCKW's aren't posting either. :shock: Hmmm, I wonder why that is? :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"

Post by Guest »

Ugg you seems to have vast knowledge of cckw's..start posting :-)
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Guest:

My knowledge on this topic is VERY limited. I'm more a lurker here than a poster. An observer if ya will. My total knowledge of MV's is from time served, and us acquiring a WC 53 6 years ago, and a M35 over a year ago. I have some general knowledge as I've been around and worked on all sorts of vehicles since I was 7 (both as a hobby and professionally), and I do have some common sense (although my wife may dispute that).

Are you the same guest that pointed out the so-called unfairness to Dr Deuce (who doesn't seem to post here anymore either)? If so, why don't ya register? Ya don't even have to use your own name to do it. I don't pretend to have the PURE knowledge that RANGER has, or the background (although I did do several months in a maintance platoon as punishment). I can break down tires REAL fast if I have a D9 Cat handy. :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Hi Ron,

I suppose you could find the hot lead running into the switch and connect jumper leads to the other terminals to see what comes on (or catches on fire :lol: ) - probably something to do with their updated lighting system.
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

If it were my tuck I would look towards the switch maybe being the headlights? They may have bypassed the blackout light system?

Just a thought.. :idea: :D
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Does that truck have two fuel tanks?
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg

extra switch

Post by guest »

I have a French return CCKW and had the extra switch which you mentioned. I could not figure out what it did or didn't do, so evenually I just rewired the switch out of the circuit. As I have two stoplights in the rear and two extra lights (one on each mudflap), my electrical system was overloaded. This overloading especaially with the headlights on high beam caused my electrical system to pop off. I have since wired my headlights directly to a relay system.

Capt Lee
Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hardbird »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I just thought someone may know exactly what it was installed to activate and save some time by asking.

Regards,
Ron
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954

Matt

Switch

Post by Matt »

Hi Ron,

Why not try a post on the French CCKW forum? someone there should know! My CCKW is a closed cab,ex Belgium and it too has a hole in the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Matt.
Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hardbird »

Mystery solved!

This switch turns out to be a secondary headlight bypass switch that the French installed for some odd reason.

You turn on the original main rotary style light swicth. With the secondary swicth in only the drivers side headlight comes on really dim. With the sencondary switch out, both headlights come on and function nomally (both high and low beam). Go figure!

Thanks for all the replies!

Ron
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954